Ethiopian Orthodox heresies

  • maurnicus@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2001
      Shlomo all,

      I saw an article online from the Patriarchal Journal. I took out the excerpt and pasted it at the bottom.

      In the 2nd paragraph here, it mentions various Ethiopian heresies which made their way onto the Arabian peninsula before Islam began. Does anyone know what these heresies were?

      God Bless +
      Mike

      The Religious Situation of the Arabs at the Time of the Rise of Islam - The religious situation of the Arabs was confusing and disorganized. Some tribes were totally pagan. The split of the church distracted them from their task of spreading the Gospel. Thus, the time was favorable for the appearance of Islam on the Arab peninsula. We have to mention here that one part of the population of the Arab peninsula was pagan at the time of the appearance of Islam. The others were in name only followers of Abraham. It is mentioned in history that Christianity appeared in the first century on the peninsula. It spread with strength in the Syrian desert and in Iraq among many tribes like, Beni Taghleb, Beni Kalb; in Yemen, Tai, Bahraa, Salikh, Tennuch, Ghassaen and others who thus were prepared for accepting Islam later.

      The dogma of Arius and Nesters that was anathematized at the ecumenical councils of Nicea (325 A.D.) and Ephesus (431 A.D.) were wide spread among the Christians on the peninsula. Added to this is that through rebellious members of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church some doubtful heretical religious statements in the name of Christianity were spread among some Arab tribes.

      At the end of the 6th and the beginning of the 7th century, Qas Ibn-Sa-ida Al-Ayadi, bishop of Najran, was praised for his wisdom, poetry and the art of speech. Another famous man is named Waraqa Ibn Naufal Ibn Assad (who died about the year 611). He was the bishop of Mekka that was full of Christians. He was the cousin of Khadidga, daughter of Khuailid, the wife of Muhammad, the prophet. Most of the Christians of Mecca, Yemen and Najran were members of the Syrian Orthodox Church. The majority of Qurash was Christian. (The Christians were called 'Nazarians' after Jesus.) As manifold as the different dogma of the Christians of the Arab peninsula might have been, they exercised a great influence upon their Arab Muslims there.