Gibson to release film on Christ in Latin & Aramaic

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2002
      Mel Gibson apparently is bringing out a movie on Christ entirely in
      Latin and Aramaic (with no subtitles!). Read below for news from
      Yahoo News at
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
      tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020920/film_nm/leisure_gibson_christ_dc_2
      --------

      Gibson Breaks Hollywood Mould with Film in Latin
      Fri Sep 20, 3:25 PM ET

      ROME (Reuters) - A film in two ancient tongues with no subtitles?

      The off-beat formula hardly sounds like the recipe for a hit movie
      but Mel Gibson thinks language should be no barrier. "Passion" -- a
      Gibson-directed flick about Christ's last 12 hours -- will be in
      Latin and Aramaic.

      "For me that's more real and hopefully I'll be able to transcend
      language barriers with filmic story-telling," Gibson told reporters
      on Friday.

      "It's very visual and it's about something that has...affected
      civilization in every possible way you can imagine," the 46-year-old
      actor, a devout Catholic, added.

      But Gibson, a perennial Hollywood favorite with lead roles in the
      hit "Lethal Weapon" series, "Braveheart" and more recently "Signs,"
      acknowledged his choice of languages for the new film was causing
      headaches as far as U.S. distributors were concerned.

      "No one wants to touch something in two dead languages. They think
      I'm insane, maybe I am," joked Gibson, who was born in New York but
      grew up in Australia.

      The abolition of the Latin mass was one of the key reforms adopted in
      the 1960s by the Second Vatican ( news - web sites) Council, which
      sought to bring the liturgy closer to ordinary people.

      But Gibson is very much of the old school, and a Latin service is
      still held at the private chapel of his California home.

      He also had some sharp words for the modern-day Catholic Church,
      rocked this year by allegations of child abuse.

      "It's very easy to be shaken these days faith-wise. All this kind of
      pedophilia stuff in the United States, it's hard to hang on to a
      foundation with this stuff going on," he told Reuters.

      Shooting will switch between the famous Cinecitta studios just
      outside Rome and cave-riddled Matera in southern Italy.

      Gibson acknowledged he was filming "in the shadow of the dome" but
      brushed aside questions on whether the Vatican would approve of the
      film.

      "I don't know what they like these days," he said, adding his
      priority was to make a credible film.

      "Many people have told the story but...it's like looking at it from
      the wrong end of the telescope, I mean Jesus either suffers from bad
      hair or it's inaccurate or you don't believe it," he said.

      But Gibson, who turned down Martin Scorsese's offer of playing Jesus,
      has once again shied away from the role, giving it to Jim Caviezel,
      star of "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "High Crimes."

      "There's two things I wouldn't do on film and I said this when I was
      in my 20s -- I will never play myself if it ever comes to that and I
      will never play Jesus."