Church Calendar 1719 ...

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2002
      Church Calendar

      Thou shalt bless the crown of the year with Thy Goodness; and Thy plains shall be filled with fatness.  Rejoice in God our helper; shout with joy to the God of Jacob. Alleluia. (64: 11,12)
      تبارك اكليل السنة بصلاحك وبقاعك تمتلئ من الدسم، إبتهجوا بالله معيننا. هللوا لإله يعقوب. هلليلويا

      For over 25 years, the church has published a calendar titled "The Church Calendar". As the title indicates, it is specifically intended to help those who use it to know all the events of the Church, whether the feasts or fasts, as well as the liturgical aspects associated with them. This calendar is a continuation of the same idea, but is given a different shape and form. We preferred that it takes the shape of a book and on its cover is one of the Coptic Orthodox icons written by Dr. Isaac Fanous at Holy Virgin Mary Church in Los Angeles.

      This calendar is characterized by the following:
      1. The page for every day of the year contains a description of the Church events.
      2. In order to distinguish the fasting days from the non-fasting days, the non-fasting days have a one-line border, whereas the fasting days have a border of three lines.
      3. The upper portion and the margins of the feasts of our Lord, Saturdays, Sundays, and the Fifty Holy Days are shaded whether they fall on a fasting or non-fasting day. There is no strict abstinence on fasting days that are shaded.

      Christ Enthroned

      4. For every day of the year, the liturgical tune is mentioned, e.g. Annual, Kiahk Tune, Fasting, Festal, or Hosanna Tune.
      5. Every fast is identified by its name, e.g. Nativity Fast, Great Lent, Fast of the Apostles, etc. Also, a small picture of a fish is placed to indicate the fasts in which fish is allowed.
      6. The references of the appropriate readings for Vespers, Matins, and the Divine Liturgy is written, as well as the verse of the psalms, which is taken from the Septuagint edition of the Old Testament. This translation is the one used in the Church and it is difficult to find.
      7. The Saints of the Day, as written in the Synxarium, are mentioned with a very brief history of their lives. The name of the saint for which the readings have been chosen is underlined to indicate the reason why they have been chosen and how they relate to the life of this saint. The exception to this is the readings for Sundays, Great Lent, the Fifty Holy Days, and the feasts; these all have special readings.
      8. All the references for the readings of Passion Week are written.
      9. If a day has a liturgical Church name, then it is written, as in the Sundays of the Coptic months, e.g. the first Sunday, the second Sunday, etc. Also the Sundays of Great Lent are given their names, e.g. Temptation Sunday, Sunday of the Prodigal Son, etc. Additionally, the name of the week for that day is also mentioned, e.g. the first week of Great Lent.
      10. The appropriate Seasonal Litany for the day is mentioned, e.g. the litany for the plants, the fruits, or the waters of the river.
      11. This calendar ends on September 10th (the 5th of the Little Month) or in the Leap years on September 11th (6th of the Little Month), which is the last day of the Coptic Year. God willing, the next calendar will begin with the 1st of Tout, which is the Coptic New Year. This way the calendar will follow the beginning and end of every Coptic year.
      12. At the beginning of every week, there is an icon of the most important event or saint for that week, as well as a saying from one of the Church Fathers.

      The calendar in its new form will be beneficial, helping the Christian person to live the life of the Church on a daily basis. May our Lord Jesus Christ help us to enter into the depths of the Church's liturgical life and understand Her treasures so that we can preserve and keep with all our hearts the Holy Tradition of the Church. May the blessings of the Holy Theotokos and the Feast of Nairouz (the Coptic New Year) be with all of us and glory be to our God in His Holy Church forever. Amen.

      Holy Virgin Mary Church
      Los Angeles, California

      Your Donation will help our Church to cover the printing and mailing expenses

      We will ONLY accept Orders sent within the United States via regular mail to the Church address:

      Holy Virgin Mary Coptic Orthodox Church
      P.O. Box 50689
      Los Angeles, CA 90050-0689
      United States

      Please include your Full Name, Mailing Address, City, State and Zip
      & whether you need the Church Calendar
      in Arabic or in English

      Back to our Home Page

      For more information:

      © Copyright 1998 -  Holy Virgin Mary Church in Los Angeles - USA. All Rights Reserved under International Copyright Conventions.
      No part may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying,
      recording, or by any information storage or retrieval system, without permission in writing from
      Holy Virgin Mary Church in Los Angeles - USA.
      Information provided in the Web Site "http://www.theotokos.org" directories may not be recompiled into other directories or used for a derived work without permission.