Re: Fwd: Canonical Hours?

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2002
      The book of common prayer for all canonical hours in the Syriac
      Orthodox Church is called the ShHimo. It has been translated to
      English (in prose, not set to Syriac meter) by Rev. Bede Griffiths
      and was originally published by the Kurishumala ashram (a Malankara
      Catholic Church institution) in Kerala. I believe it is out of print
      although copies were until recently available at the Malankara Syrian
      Orthodox Theological Seminary, Udayagiri. You can read more about the
      ShHimo in the worship section of SOR at
      http://sor.cua.edu/Worship/index.html .

      The Phenqito is the more elaborate book of prayers with prayers for
      important days in the liturgical calendars. This is used in Syriac
      Orthodox churches for formal worship services. This book has not been
      translated to English or other languages faithfully as far as I am
      aware. (Fr. Francis Acharya of Kurishumala has published a book based
      on the phenqito which is not faithful to the original but mixes many
      elements of the Hindu form of worship.)

      - Thomas Joseph