Fwd: Canonical Hours?

  • daniel_reji
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2002
      --- In oriental_orthodoxy@y..., "P.M." <ahmadbenbhazir@y...> wrote:
      Does anyone out there know of any English translations
      currently available of the Canonical Hours/Divine
      Office/Breviary/Horologion of the Syrian rite, as used
      either by the Church in India or in Syria and the
      Middle East? Where might one buy them, and how much
      would they cost?

      Furthermore, what is the basic structure of the
      offices? How are they formed? Is the use of the
      Psalms as intense as in the Byzantine or Coptic
      traditions? Are there parts that are specifically
      meant for priests, as opposed to what the laity can
      use? Are the laity allowed to pray these prayers at
      home, and what would they then have to omit in the
      absence of a priest?

      I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me in
      this regard...thanks!

      http://finance.yahoo.com
      --- End forwarded message ---
    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2002
        The book of common prayer for all canonical hours in the Syriac
        Orthodox Church is called the ShHimo. It has been translated to
        English (in prose, not set to Syriac meter) by Rev. Bede Griffiths
        and was originally published by the Kurishumala ashram (a Malankara
        Catholic Church institution) in Kerala. I believe it is out of print
        although copies were until recently available at the Malankara Syrian
        Orthodox Theological Seminary, Udayagiri. You can read more about the
        ShHimo in the worship section of SOR at
        http://sor.cua.edu/Worship/index.html .

        The Phenqito is the more elaborate book of prayers with prayers for
        important days in the liturgical calendars. This is used in Syriac
        Orthodox churches for formal worship services. This book has not been
        translated to English or other languages faithfully as far as I am
        aware. (Fr. Francis Acharya of Kurishumala has published a book based
        on the phenqito which is not faithful to the original but mixes many
        elements of the Hindu form of worship.)

        - Thomas Joseph