Syriac Book of the Odes, Ode 9, Odes of Solomon Series

  • sant_mat_mystic
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2002
      From: James Bean

      Syriac Book of the Odes, Ode 9, Odes of Solomon Series

      Ode 9, translated by Sebastian Brock, in, "A Garland of Hymns From
      the Early Church -- Translated from the Syriac," Saint Athanasius
      Coptic Publishing Center:

      "Open your ears, and I shall speak to you;
      give me yourself,
      so that I too may give you myself."

      This is the word of the Lord
      and His will,
      the holy thought which He has concerning His Messiah;
      for your salvation lies in the will of the Lord,
      his intention for you is eternal life:
      your fulfillment is incorruption.
      Become rich in God the Father,
      accept the Lord's intention,
      be valiant and be saved through His grace.
      For I announce peace to you, His holy ones,
      so that all who listen may not fall in the conflict,
      so that those too who have acknowledged Him may not perish,
      and that those who shall receive Him shall not be put to
      shame.
      Truth is a crown that lasts for ever,
      happy are those who place it on their heads as a precious jewel.
      For conflicts have taken place because of the crown:
      righteousness has received it and given it to you.
      Place the crown on the true covenant of the Lord,
      and all those who have prevailed shall be inscribed in His
      book;
      their inscription is a victory meant for you --
      which looks to you, and desires your salvation.

      The Complete Book of Odes Online:
      http://www.misericordia.edu/users/davies/thomas/odes.htm