God bless you all !

  • claude_guerillot
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2002
      God bless you all !

      As a new member of this forum, I must introduce myself to you.

      I am an old man, seventy-two years old, living in Rennes, France.

      I was a scientist, working on theoretical Physics, I mean Quantum
      Mechanics. At two occurrences, the Stockholm Academy choice me as an
      elector of the Nobel Prize. This is just to be known from you.

      In these years, I was far apart of Christ. A friend of mine, who is a
      priest of the Syrian Orthodox Church and who was living in Athens,
      Greece, made me Christ known. But the way was ever long...
      I begun by learning Hebrew, in order to read the Old Testament, then
      the Greek, to be able to read the New Testament. That took me more
      than seven years...
      I tried to join an Orthodox parish. In Rennes, we have two of them.
      One is definitely non-canonic and the other belongs to Constantinople,
      through the Russian patriarchate. I stay four years in this parish but
      I was disappointed by their sectarism.
      I believe that the Orthodox Creed is given by the definition of the
      Hundred and Forty Holy Fathers of Constantinople, in 381, without any
      addition or subtraction, in the genuine Greek text. I believe that the
      Most Holy Virgin is in truth the Most Holy Theotokos, as it was said
      in 431 at Ephese. I think that this are the landmarks of Orthodoxy.And
      any believer mays add, for himself, that the Holy Spirit has told to
      his own soul, when he was praying.
      I remember the words in John
      13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than
      his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
      and so, I think that anything which is inconsistent with the Words of
      Christ is either wrong or wrongly understood. Saint Isaac the Syrian
      used similar terms...
      Studying the Church history, I had found that the Syrian Orthodox
      Church was closer to the Truth than any other Church. Rome, for
      instance, has added may things to the Constantinople Creed, for
      instance, the Filioque and the Immaculate Conception. Constantinople,
      too, has added many things by its so-called Tradition. Of course, many
      members of the Syrian Orthodox Church have worked on theology,
      hymnology and liturgy. But this Church did not promulgated any new
      Creed item and did ever stood firmly on the true orthodox faith.
      So I want to join your Church, just to be closer to Christ.
      My problem is that there is no parish in France, only in Germany,
      Netherlands, Switzerland or Sweden. And I have said, I am too old to
      travel now.

      I thank you to have welcome me.

      May the Christ, our Gad, keep all of us in His holy guard !

      Claude
    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2002
        Dear Claude,

        We are honored to have someone of your distinction join the SOR-
        Forum. I hope that the forum and the SOR web site will help you in
        your quest for nearness to God and in understanding the Syriac
        Orthodox tradition.

        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        SOR Forum Moderator,
        Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)