Syriac Book of the Odes, Ode 8, Odes of Solomon Series

  • sant_mat_mystic
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2002
      James Bean
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ILOVEGOD

      Syriac Book of the Odes, Ode 8, Odes of Solomon Series

      Ode 8, translated by Sebastian Brock, in, "A Garland of Hymns From
      the Early Church -- Translated from the Syriac," Saint Athanasius
      Coptic Publishing Center:

      Open up your hearts to the joy of the Lord,
      Let your love burst forth from the heart till it reaches the lips,
      bringing forth fruits for the Lord a holy life,
      giving utterance in awareness, illumined by His Light.
      Arise and be raised up, all who have once been brought low;
      all who have been in silence,
      speak, for your mouth has been opened;
      those who have been despised, from now on be lifted up,
      for the justice of your case has been established;
      the Lord's right hand is with you,
      He will be your helper.
      Peace has been prepared for you
      even before your conflict began.
      Listen to the word of truth,
      receive the knowledge of the Most High:
      Let not your flesh be aware of what I shall tell you,
      nor your garment --your body -- of what I shall make known to you;
      preserve my symbol, you who are preserved by it,
      preserve faith in me, you who are preserved by it;
      recognize knowledge of me, all you who know me in truth,
      love me, all you who love,
      I will not avert my face from those who are mine,
      for I recognize them:
      before they even came into being,
      I had understanding of them;
      their faces I have imprinted at baptism,
      it is I who established their limbs.
      My own breasts have I prepared for them
      so that they may drink my holy milk and thereby live.
      I have taken pleasure in them
      and am not ashamed of them,
      for they are my handiwork.
      Who will not be swayed by them?

      I desire the mind and heart:
      I fashioned them, and they are mine.
      On my right hand have I placed my chosen ones:
      in front of them goes my righteousness,
      and they shall not be deprived of my name,
      seeing that it is with them.
      Pray, and pray often,
      and remain in the love of the Lord,
      as beloved ones in the Beloved,
      as those who are protected in Him who lives,
      as those who are saved in Him who was saved:
      then you will be found to be without corruption throughout all ages
      by the Name of your Father. Halleluiah.

      The Complete Book of Odes Online:
      http://www.misericordia.edu/users/davies/thomas/odes.htm