Acknowledge Her as Mother of God

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2002
      Nestorious should be ashamed, and should place his hand on his lips.
      This Child is God. How then can she who bore Him be anything but
      God's Mother? If anyone does not acknowledge her as Mother of God,
      such a one is far removed from the Godhead. These words, though it is
      I who use them, are not my own for I have inherited these glorious
      teachings from Gregory the Theologian. Let us adore God alone, the
      Creator and Maker of all things. Let us offer to Him the worship of
      latria as to God who is of His very nature adorable. Let us revere,
      too, the Holy Mother of God, not indeed as God, but as God's Mother
      according to the flesh." Saint John Damascene (676-754)

      From a letter by Saint Cyril of Alexandria, bishop:

      "That anyone could doubt the right of the holy Virgin to be called
      the Mother of God fills me with astonishment. Surely she must be the
      Mother of God if our Lord Jesus Christ is God, and she gave birth to
      him! Our Lord's disciples may not have used those exact words, but
      they delivered to us the belief those words enshrine, and this has
      also been taught us by the holy fathers.

      In the third book of his work on the holy and consubstantial Trinity,
      our father Athanasius, of glorious memory, several times refers to
      the holy Virgin as "Mother of God." I cannot resist quoting his own
      words: "As I have often told you, the distinctive mark of holy
      Scripture is that it was written to make a twofold declaration
      concerning our Savior; namely, that he is and has always been God,
      and that for our sake in these latter days he took flesh from the
      Virgin Mary, Mother of God, and became man."

      Again further on he says: "There have been many holy men, free from
      all sin. Jeremiah was sanctified in his mother's womb, and John while
      still in the womb leaped for joy at the voice of Mary, the Mother of

      Athanasius is a man we can trust, one who deserves our complete
      confidence, for he taught nothing contrary to the sacred books.The
      divinely inspired Scriptures affirm that the Word of God was made
      flesh, that is to say, he was united to a human body endowed with a
      rational soul. He undertook to help the descendents of Abraham,
      fashioning a body for himself from a woman and sharing our flesh and
      blood, to enable us to see in him not only God, but also, by reason
      of this union, a man like ourselves. It is held, therefore, that
      there are in Emmanuel two entities, divinity and humanity. Yet
      our Lord Jesus Christ is nonetheless one, the one true Son, both God
      and man; not a deified man on the same footing as those who share the
      divine nature by grace, but true God who for our sake appeared in
      human form. We are assured of this by Saint Paul's declaration: When
      the fullness of time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born
      under the law, to redeem those who were under the law and to enable
      us to be adopted as sons."

      Father, the bishop Cyril courageously taught that Mary was the Mother
      of God. May we who cherish this belief receive salvation through the
      incarnation of Christ your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the
      Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

      Every Grace Through Her
      "All gifts, virtues, and graces of the Holy Ghost are administered by
      the hands of Mary to whomsoever she desires, when she desires, in the
      manner she desires, and to whatever degree she desires. Mary is the
      dispensatrix of all the graces God bestows. Every grace granted to
      man in this life has three successive steps: from God it comes to
      Christ, and from Christ to the Virgin,and from the Virgin it descends
      to us. -St. Bernardine of Siena, "On the Birth of the Blessed

      (a) Luke 1:43: Elizabeth calls her "mother of my Lord." In the NT,
      "Lord" refers only to God.
      (b) Mt 1:23: "Behold the virgin shall be with child and bear a son,
      and they shall name Him " Emmanuel," which means "God is with us."
      (c) Luke 1:35: "the child to be born will be called holy, the son of
      (d) Gal 4:4: "But when the fullness of time had come, God sent His Son
      , born of a woman."

      "For our God, Jesus Christ, was conceived by Mary, in accord with
      God's plan..." LETTER TO THE EPHESIANS, 18, 2; Jurgens, P. 18, # 42.
      St. Ignatius,110 A.D.)

      "The Virgin Mary, ... being obedient to His word, received from an
      angel the glad tidings that she would bear God. " AGAINST HERESIES,
      5, 19, 1; Jurgens, p. 101, #26a. (St. Irenaeus, 180-199 A.D.)