Prayers of the Mystics, Part 13

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2002

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part 13: Prayers of Joseph the Visionary

      May I draw near to you, and you alone be seen by me: may I not perceive anything else that is next to me, but may I walk in the house of prayer as though in heaven, and may I receive you who live in the highest heaven.

      May my body be purified by you of every image and form here on earth, and may my thoughts be cleansed by you, and my limbs be sanctified by you; may my understanding shine out, and may my mind be illumined by you. May my person become a holy temple for you; may I be aware in my whole being of your majesty. May I become a womb for you in secret: then do you come and dwell in me by night and I will receive you openly, taking delight spiritually in the Holy of Holies of my thoughts.

      Prayers of Joseph the Visionary, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications