Prayers of the Mystics, Part 11

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2002

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part 11: Prayers of Joseph the Visionary

      Create eyes in me, and so may I see with Your eyes,
      for I cannot see with my own eyes.

      May my mind travel inwards
      towards the hiddenness of Your sacrifice,
      just as You have travelled out into the open
      and been cojoined to Your Mysteries.

      At this moment
      may I be totally forgetful of myself,
      and remain utterly unmindful
      of my own person.

      May every bodily image
      be wiped away from my mind's Eye,
      and may You alone
      be depicted before the Eye of my mind.

      And now, when Your Spirit descends from heaven
      upon your Mysteries,
      may I ascend in spirit from earth to heaven.

      Prayers of Joseph the Visionary, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications