Prayers of Joseph the Visionary, Prayers of the Mystics, Part 10

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16 12:26 AM

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part 10: Prayers of Joseph the Visionary

      [ About Joseph the Visionary, An Introduction: JOSEPH HAZZAYA, or the Visionary, was born into a Zoroastrian family some time around 710. As a child of seven he was taken captive during a raid, to be sold first to an Arab, and then to a Christian in the region of mount Qardu (north Iraq). Impressed by the example of some local monks, he sought baptism, and when his owner subsequently liberated him, Joseph became a monk himself. For two separate periods in his monastic life he lived as a solitary, but he also twice served as abbot of a community. Joseph has left a considerable number of writings. ]

      PRAYERS

      To You BE PRAISE
      First-born of Being,
      exalted and full of awe,
      for, by the sacrifice of your body,
      you have effected salvation for the world.

      0 Christ, Son from the Holy Father,
      to you do I pray in awe at this time;
      of you, Lord, do I ask your will
      and beseech your compassion,
      that my whole person may be made holy
      through your grace,
      and that the enemy's constraint upon me
      may be rendered ineffective.

      Purify my understanding
      in your compassion,
      so that my hands may stretch out in purity
      to receive your holy and fearful Body and Blood.

      Cleanse my hidden mind
      with the hyssop of your grace,
      for I draw near
      to the Holy of Holies of your Mysteries.

      Wash from me all understanding
      that belongs to the flesh,
      and may an understanding which belongs to your Spirit
      be mingled within my soul.

      Cause to reside in me
      a faith that beholds your Mysteries.

      Prayers of Joseph the Visionary, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac- Aramaic by Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications