Prayers of the Mystics, Part 9

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2002

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part 9

      SAYINGS OF SAINT ISAAC

      Do you wish to commune with God in your mind? Strive to be merciful... One should first of all begin to be merciful in the measure that our heavenly Father is merciful.

      The purpose of prayer is for us to acquire love for God, for in prayer can be discovered all sorts of reasons for loving God.

      Love of God proceeds from conversing with Him; this conversation of prayer comes about through stillness, and stillness comes with the stripping away of the self.

      Faith in Christ is living, noetic Light.

      A monk who with the eyes of his intellect gazes intently into his heart while praying will quickly be deemed worthy of mercy.

      The Light of Jesus is noetic Light, and blessed is the soul which is accounted worthy to see it!

      PRAYERS OF SAINT ISAAC

      I beg and beseech You, Lord, grant to all who have gone astray a true knowledge of You, so that each and every one may come to know Your glory.

      The flood of Christ's Mysteries presses upon my mind like the waves of the sea. I wanted to be silent before them, and not speak, but they proved to be like burning fire that was kindled in my bones. My mind rebukes me revealing to me my sins. Your Mystery stupefies me, but urges me on beyond it: in silence it indicates to me, 'Do not be
      slow to approach because you are afraid of your sins, 0 sinner, for it is by meditating upon this that the dust of sin will be shaken off your mind'.

      0 Christ who are covered with Light as though with a garment....May Your divinity, Lord, take pleasure in me, and lead me above the world to be with You.

      Illumine before me the path of darkness by means of the brilliance of awareness of You.

      Prayers of Saint Isaac of Nineveh, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac- ramaic by Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications