Prayers of the Mystics, Part Eight

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2002

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part 8

      O Sun of righteousness by which the righteous beheld their own selves and became a mirror for their generations, open up within me the gate to awareness of You; grant me a joyful mind, one which sails above the rocks of error, so that I may reach that serene haven, as did our fathers of old who pleased you with their discerning lives. Sanctify me by Your Mysteries, illumine my mind with knowledge of You, make your hope to shine out in my heart, hold me worthy to supplicate for it, O God my Father and Lord of my life; illumine Your lamp within me, place in me what belongs to You so that I may forget what belongs to myself. Cast upon me the constraint of wonder of You, so that the constraint of nature may be overpowered by it. Stir up within me the vision of Your Mysteries so that I may become aware of what was placed in me at holy baptism. You placed within me a Guide: may he show me your glory at all times.

      Prayers of Saint Isaac of Nineveh, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications