Prayers of the Mystics, Part Five

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2002

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part Five

      What wonders has your love effected! When someone is still alive he has left this world: though his bodily condition remains with the world's bodily condition, yet his spirit has been raised up towards you, so that for a period of time he is where he knows not, being totally raptured and drawn towards you.

      All praise to your knowledge, all praise to your greatness; thanksgiving be to you, 0 Lord of all, who established your wisdom for us in wonder. All this does your love bring about, transporting us from this world to another world in order to perfect us fully there, allowing us to grasp there things of which we are unaware here; for many are the things which you have in store for us, Lord, things of which we do not yet even know so as to ask for them. Just as there are many things of which a child is unaware in this world and so does not know to seek for them, similarly your grace has prepared for us in the New World things for which our minds have not yet conceived of seeking from you or asking, but which are hidden away in readiness for that day when they shall be revealed to everyone according to his capability: the more a person has loved you, the more you will manifest the wondrous sight of you. Not that
      you refuse to manifest yourself here, only that here this takes place by means of the revelation of mysteries, whereas at the end of time it will be by means of the glorious vision of you. Not everyone will behold you there equally, but each in accordance with his capability. For not even the ranks of angels all have the same vision of you in that world there, but the degree of their vision depends on the greatness of their rank.

      All praise to you, who bend down in all sorts of different manners, while remaining exactly as you are. You are seen by everyone in so far as they are able to see you.

      I beseech you, 0 God, Father of all, cause our minds to approach this glory, so that we may perceive in our understanding and become aware of the greatness to which you have called us, and of how insignificant we are.

      Grant us, Lord, to cling to you, not in our outward beings but in our hidden selves, and may we follow you until we behold your face. For in this world, Lord, a person continues to follow after you as he becomes perfected, but in the New World you will manifest your very face to him: then he will no longer be traveling after you, but will be with you in the Kingdom.

      John of Apamea, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications