Prayers of the Mystics, Part Four

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2002

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part Four

      Praise to you, 0 Christ the true Light, for in you have our souls been illumined so that we have gained perception in our minds. In you we have been made worthy of you, in you we have found our lives, and in you we have been acquired by you.

      Praise to you, for in you we have been conjoined to you, and in you your glorious Father has taken pleasure in us; in you we have peace with him.

      Praises be to you who gave us life in everything. Thanks be to you, 0 Lord of all, for you are true and immutable life, in whom our treasure will be preserved and not snatched away: our wealth will no longer be seized. Our life is provided for by your care, and all kinds of wonderful assistance from you is proffered to us. It is by these means that you captivate humanity to the love of you, so that all may acquire you and you may acquire everyone. Praise to you who proclaimed and taught that we were to be acquired by you in love.

      All praise to you, 0 God, who are hidden from all worlds; all praise to your love, for no one is able to recount its abundance. For your greatness bends down so that it may be seen by those who love you, so that human beings may behold the sight of you: this is the exalted
      position to which you have brought them, actually manifesting yourself to them. How ardent and fervent is your love for the soul which has become aware of you, for the soul which is truly purified and cleansed during her lifetime. That person whom you have held full worthy to look upon you is raised up towards you in his lifetime: but for his body, he would no longer be in the world!

      John of Apamea, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications