Prayers of the Mystics, Part Three

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2002

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part Three

      Direct the course of our lives, Lord,
      straight towards you,
      so that in you we may reach you,
      and so that in you we may find you.
      Make us worthy to attain to you,
      in you;
      and let us behold nothing beside you.
      Hide everything from our mind's vision
      by means of the manifestation of your glorious Light.
      For whoever gazes upon you
      does not need to look upon anything else;
      but whoever does not gaze upon you
      is in need of all kinds of other sources of illumination
      in order to be able to see.

      Praise to you
      for you are the Light,
      and in you our souls have illumination.
      You illumine all
      with knowledge of yourself
      Draw back the veil of falsehood from our souls
      so that we can see your Light clearly,
      for our minds are not totally dark
      owing to love of you.

      John of Apamea, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The
      Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by
      Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications