8 day Lent in he Month of September

  • Daniel Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2000
      To all brothers in Christ

      The Roman Catholic Church observes an eight-day Nativity lent from
      1st Sept. to 8th Sept. in commemoration of Virgin Mary's Immaculate
      Conception and birth which dogma is not recognized by the Orthodox
      Church.

      Her nativity is, however honored by the church. The church gives
      importance to Her `SHOONOYO' (The death of blessed Virgin Mariam –
      Variously expressed as Repose, Falling Asleep).

      Then why our Churches in Malankara observed the 8-day lent on
      September?

      Is it not leading to a false equation of divinity with that of Christ
      and also to a false notion of deity – both of which are not in
      conformity with Orthodox Theology?

      Is in any part of the world other than Malankara observe this 8 day
      lent in our Church?

      In God's Love

      Thomas Daniel
    • thomas_joseph@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2000
        Shlomo Thomas Daniel.

        The 8 day lent observed in Malankara is associated with the birth of
        St. Mary. The practice originated at the ancient St. Mary's Church,
        Manarcaud, near Kottayam. The tradition of congregations fasting from
        the first of the month until the feast day of the patron saint of
        their church was common practice in the past. The fast in connection
        with St. Mary's Assumption (Shunoyo) from Aug 1-15 is a prescribed
        fast of the Church universally. It was at the St. Mary's Church at
        Manarcaud that the tradition of fasting prior to St. Mary's birth
        date in Malankara began. Due to the influence of this ancient church,
        other churches in Malankara also adopted this practice. It is by no
        means a prescribed fast of the Church.

        However, the Church does celebrate the birth of St. Mary universally.
        In the calendars of the Church in the Middle-East and the diaspora,
        the date is Sep 7th; in Malankara, for some reason, it is 8th. The
        fact that the Church celebrates St. Mary's birthday does not suggest
        even remotely that the Church accepts the Roman Catholic dogma of
        Immaculate Conception. We are merely celebrating her birth; we are
        not making any dogmatic statements regarding the nature of her birth.

        It is fashionable for critics to deride the now common Malankara
        Syriac Orthodox practice of fasting prior to St. Mary's birthday
        claiming that this is a Roman Catholic influence. There is no truth
        to this; the fast at Manarcaud is not a recent innovation. I hope
        that these false arguments do not dissuade anyone who wishes to set
        apart a few days for fasting and prayer.

        In the love of our Lord,
        Thomas Joseph

        --- In SOR-Forum@egroups.com, "Daniel Thomas" <daniel_reji@h...>