Re: [SORForum] 321st Dhukhrono of Mor Gregorious Of jerusalem

  • Nilus Nyman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2002
      The Post included an ikon of St.Gregorious Abdul’Galeel,which shows his staff that looks like a snakes head, I have a question why a snake?  I have never seen something like that before and I am wondering the symbolism of it.  Thank you.
      Nilus
    • maurnicus@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2002
        Nilus,

        Bishops in the Syriac Orthodox tradition hold staffs which have snakes on them for two reasons:

        1) The serpent is a symbol of wisdom. "Be wise as serpents and harmless as doves."

        2) It is also an allusion to the serpent Moses lifted up in the wilderness, that whomever looked upon it would be healed.

        Mikhe