How many Oriental Orthodox in the USA?

  • Fr. John-Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2002
      http://www.hirr.hartsem.edu/research/quick_question17.html

      This web page has the best information available on numbers in the various
      jurisdictions in America. "Best information" usually means best guesses,
      but this research will be used as a benchmark for years to come. It seems
      to me that the Oriental churches may be under-reported. The Ethiopian and
      Eritrean did not even make the list. How many Coptic Orthodox would be a
      fair estimate since they have the most parishes (unless you combine the
      Armenians)?

      The table conversion is:
      parishes - full members - adherents

      After the 15 jurisdictions of Eastern Orthodox in the USA!

      16. Holy Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church of the East
      18 - N/a - 36,016 (I believe these are under Rome and are not considered
      Orthodox, yet they are listed)

      17. Armenian Church of America
      89 - 11,400 - 45,800

      18. Armenian Apostolic Church of America
      38 - 11,100 - 23,200

      19. Archdiocese of North America of Coptic Orthodox Church
      116 - N/a - N/d

      20. Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch
      23 - N/d - 15,100

      21. Malankara Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church
      22 - N/a - 4,340

      22. American diocese of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church
      59 - N/a - 13,300 (does not include mission parishes)

      Your servant in Christ,

      V. Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock, pastor
      Holy Transfiguration Malankara Orthodox Syrian Mission
      Madison, Wisconsin (608) 236-9622
      http://www.angelfire.com/wi/inroads/transfig.html
      "We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power
      may be of God, and not us." IICor4:7