Re: [SORForum] SOR Web Site Upgrade

  • Brian Ingram
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2002
      Congratulations on the excellent upgrade.

      If I may put a question to the forum.
      On the site it states;

      The Council of Chalcedon in A.D. 451 resulted in the schism of Christendom
      into two groups. The Catholic (Rome) and Greek (Byzantine) Churches accepted
      the Council, while the Syrian (Antioch) and Coptic (Alexandria) Churches
      rejected it. The former group adopted the doctrine that Christ is in two
      natures, human and divine, while the latter adopted the doctrine that Christ
      has one incarnate nature from two natures. It is worth noting that the
      drafts of the Council were according to the position of the Syrian and
      Coptic Churches. The final resolution, however, was according to the
      doctrine of the Western Churches. The difference lies in one preposition as
      explained. One word split the Church for centuries and the schism continues
      to this day.

      Is the Syriac Orthodox Church a monophysite church?
      No. The monophysite dogma is an extreme version of the one nature
      Christological doctrine put forth by Eutyches. It claims that Christ has one
      nature only and that the divine nature subsumed the human nature.
      Adversaries have accused the Syriac Orthodox Church of the monophysite
      position. However this dogma has always been rejected by the Syriac Orthodox
      Church. It is unfortunate that this term is still used by some scholars.
      Prof. Sebastian Brock of Oxford University has correctly suggested using the
      term miaphysite which more accurately describes the Syriac Orthodox
      position.

      Endquote
      I am interested in what the forum members has to say about this. Do the
      forum members believe there is still a lack of agreement between the two
      sides of the Chalcedon Council

      There has been a common Christological Declaration signed by (11 November
      2001), His Holiness John Paul II, Bishop of
      Rome and Pope of the Catholic Church, and His Holiness Mar Dinkha
      IV,Catholicos-Patriarch of the Assyrian Church, how do the members feel
      about it?

      Brian

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2002

        I love the new look!

        Great job Thomas.  May the Lord bless you and all those whom God has used to teach others about our faith.
      • George Kiraz
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30, 2002
          From: "Brian Ingram" <Brian.Ingram@...>

          > Endquote
          > I am interested in what the forum members has to say about this. Do the
          > forum members believe there is still a lack of agreement between the two
          > sides of the Chalcedon Council

          Much progress has been made through the official and unofficial dialogues
          that have taken place between the various chruches through Pro Oriente and
          other meetings. Parties have come to realize that the difference lies in
          words and expressions. So the disagreement is much narrow now, but I believe
          there is still some disagreement as full communion between chalcedonian and
          non-chalcedonian churches has not been established yet.

          > There has been a common Christological Declaration signed by (11 November
          > 2001), His Holiness John Paul II, Bishop of
          > Rome and Pope of the Catholic Church, and His Holiness Mar Dinkha
          > IV,Catholicos-Patriarch of the Assyrian Church, how do the members feel
          > about it?

          This is a step in the right direction. A similar decleration was signed
          between the Pope and the former and current Syrian Orthodox patriarchs. The
          declaration is specially important to the Assyrian Church of the East as it
          remain until today the only church that goes back to Apostolic times that is
          not in communion with any other Apostolic church.