SOR Web Site Upgrade

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25 11:32 PM
      I am pleased to announce the completion of a significant upgrade to
      the SOR web site. The web site with its first pages created in
      September 1995, have over the years grown into a site with nearly 250
      pages and over 1500 objects. This upgrade is an attempt to re-
      architect the site to make information more easily accessible. The
      design of the site has also been enhanced to provide a look and feel
      that reflects the antiquity of the Syriac Orthodox spiritual
      tradition.

      While much content has been added, far more remains. A spiritual
      tradition that has a legacy of two milleniums cannot be documented in
      a matter of years or even a life-time.

      The upgrade has been in the works for over two years; much of the
      work was accomplished on my routine air travel across the US, at
      airports, and during a long stay at a hospital in Kerala while caring
      for my father who was recovering from surgery. It was initiated by
      the patron of the site H.E. Mor Clemis E. Kaplan, the Archbishop of
      Western USA, who hosted my fellow editor Dr. George Kiraz and myself
      at his residence on Dec 31, 1999 to work on a new design for the
      site. The SOR Editorial Board will always remain grateful to His
      Eminence for his spiritual guidance and help. I also thank Dr. Kiraz
      for contributing and reviewing new content.

      Please note that since the information architecture of the web site
      had to be changed, many links have changed as a result. If you have
      any links pointing to pages within the SOR site, please update them
      appropriately. If you find any errors in the content of the site,
      links, etc., please do let me know (through personal email and not
      through any discussion forum). Please distribute this message to
      anyone who may have an interest in the contents of the web site.

      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)

      March 25, 2002.
      On the Feast of suboro (Annunciation to Holy Virgin Mary)
    • Rudolf Luhukay
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26 2:46 AM

        Dear Brethren,

        As I read from the link http://sor.cua.edu/Bible/index.html I would like to ask as follows:

        1. I need lightening of these sentences:

        The words of Christ were first transmitted in his native language, the Palestinian dialect of Aramaic, either orally or in a written form. It is from this Aramaic tradition that the Greek Gospels were derived. The Syriac New Testament as we know it today is an early translation of the Greek text back into Syriac, the Aramaic dialect of Edessa (Modern Urfa in Southeast Turkey).

        If the words of Christ were first transmitted in His native language, either orally or in a written form the the result is the Greek Gospels were derived, so why the Syriac New Testament is an early translation of the Greek text?

        2. When I read these one as well:

        In many instances the Syriac language offers interesting interpretations of Biblical verses. An understanding of Syriac homonyms, for example, help us clarify the reading in Matthew 19:25 (also Mark 10:25 and Luke 128:25), when Jesus tells us how much easier it is for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God. The Syriac word corresponding to camel is gamlo which means 'camel.' However, gamlo has other meanings as well, one of which is given by the Syriac lexicographer Bar Bahlul (10th century) in his Syriac dictionary: "gamlo is a thick rope which is used to bind ships." Considering that Jesus was speaking to fishermen, this meaning of gamlo seems more appropriate.

        According to Syriac Orthodox Church's view which one we should keep the interpretations of this verse wheter as a 'camel' or a ' thick rope' ?

        Thank you.

        Rudolf Luhukay

          Rudolf A.Luhukay

        Do You Yahoo!?
        Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards´┐Ż