Patriarchal Encyclical for Lent 2002

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2002
      It is customary since ancient times for the Patriarch of Antioch to
      issue a lengthy encyclical for the Great Lent exhorting the faithful
      to observe the lent in its true spirit. The encyclical for the Great
      Lent of 2002 is attached below. (The English translation was provided
      to the Syriac Orthodox Resources by Archbishop Mor Clemis E. Kaplan
      and Very Rev. Dr. Joseph Tarzi.)

      Thomas Joseph
      Web Master, SOR
      http://sor.cua.edu

      IN THE NAME OF THE SELF-EXISTENT
      SEMPITERNAL OF NECESSARY EXISTENCE THE ALMIGHTY

      [Patriarch's Seal ]

      IGNATIUS ZAKKA I IWAS PATRIARCH OF THE HOLY SEE OF ANTIOCH AND ALL
      THE EAST, SUPREME HEAD OF THE UNIVERSAL SYRIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH IN THE
      WORLD

      On Prayer

      We offer apostolic benediction, benevolent prayers, and greetings in
      the Lord to our brethren, their Eminencies the Metropolitans, our
      spiritual children the venerable priests, the devout monks, nuns,
      deacons, and our blessed Syriac Orthodox people. May the divine
      providence embrace them through the prayers of the Virgin Mary the
      Mother of God and St. Peter, the head of the apostles, and the rest
      of the Martyrs and Saints. Amen.

      The Lord Jesus said, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you
      will find; knock and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks
      receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be
      opened" (Matthew 7:6,8).

      Lend your ears all you travelers on the road of life in this world,
      you whom the different burdens of life have worn out and its varied
      worries have troubled. The Lord Jesus prescribes to you the medicine
      for this ailment, which is to raise prayers in His name to the
      heavenly Father. Jesus promises that your fervent petitions will be
      answered if presented with solid faith. Apostle Paul defines this
      faith saying, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the
      conviction of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1). To have faith in God
      is to acknowledge, in thought, in heart and in tongue, His existence
      and in all the facts of faith which His beloved Son, our Lord and
      Savior Jesus Christ, has revealed to us. Pour, therefore, your souls,
      hearts and minds before Him in humility, meekness, repentance and
      total remorse for all the trespasses you have committed, and He will
      conceal your sins and give you rest from your labors. He will rejoice
      by you returning to Him in repentance, just as the father of the
      prodigal son rejoiced by the return of his son in repentance. The
      father forgave his disobedience and his squandering his wealth in
      extravagance and sinful living, and accepted his confession of his
      sins and his repentance. The prodigal son had said to his
      father, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am
      no more worthy to be called your son." The father said to his
      servants, "Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his
      finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it.
      Let us have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and
      is alive again; he was lost and is found. So they began to
      celebrate." (Luke 15:21-24).

      The Lord Jesus taught us to call the heavenly Father "Our Father in
      heaven" so that we may address Him with the liberty of His children.
      The Lord Jesus did so to encourage us to stand before the heavenly
      Father as His children in grace and beseech Him in the name of His
      beloved Son. He did so also to encourage us to worship the heavenly
      Father in spirit and truth, and to unload our distress before Him.

      The Lord Jesus compared the righteousness of the Heavenly Father with
      the compassion of human father towards his children saying, "Which of
      you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or he asks for
      a fish, will give him a snake? If you then, though you are evil, know
      how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your
      Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him." (Matthew 7:9-
      11).

      Dearly beloved:

      No two believers will disagree that man, since the beginning of his
      existence, has been clashing with the devil and his forces in a
      relentless war. In this connection, Apostle Peter urges us to resist
      our enemy, the devil, saying, "Be vigilant and alert, because your
      adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion looking for
      someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, knowing
      that your brethren who are in the world also suffer these same
      afflictions." (I Peter 5: 8, 9).

      Praying to God is thus very necessary, and seeking the help of God is
      always a must, so that God may save us from our vicious enemy, the
      devil. The Lord describes the devil saying to the Jews, "You are of
      your father, the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires.
      He was murderer from the beginning, and has never stood by the truth,
      for there is no truth in him." (John 8:44). This accursed devil is
      still setting traps for us trying to catch and enter us into
      temptation that we may fall into the chasm of sin, as he did to Adam,
      the father of mankind. For this reason, the Lord Jesus taught us in
      the Lord's Prayer to ask the Heavenly Father and say, "Enter us not
      into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one." The Lord Jesus
      proclaimed to us the love of God saying, "For God so loved the world
      that He gave His one and only one begotten Son that whoever believes
      in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16). The
      Lord Jesus redeemed us by His precious Blood and gave us victory over
      the devil. He, like us, entered into temptation in everything except
      sin, and gave us victory over the devil. Therefore, if we persist on
      praying to the heavenly Father in His name, He will definitely be
      with us in our struggle with the devil, and we will conquer the enemy
      of God and man with the power of the Lord Jesus. Jesus commands us
      saying, "Wake up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.
      The spirit is indeed ready, but the flesh is weak" (Matthew 26:41).
      Jesus likewise says about some kind of devils who enter men and
      torture them, "Nevertheless, this kind does not come out except by
      fasting and prayer." (Matthew 17:21). How powerful, therefore, the
      prayer of the repenting, even the righteous, believer is when he
      raises his heart, mind and soul to heaven. In doing so, his prayer
      may enter before the throne of mightiness as sweet smelling incense,
      and be answered.

      Concerning the power of prayer, Apostle James teaches us a timeless
      lesson, "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
      Elijah was a weak man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it might
      not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.
      Again he prayed, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought
      forth its fruits." (James 5:16-18). When a believer raises his heart,
      soul and mind to God in solid faith, firm hope, and pure love, God
      answers his prayer and forgives his trespasses, after he himself has
      forgiven those who trespassed against him. The repenting tax
      collector prayed to God in the temple in humility and with contrite
      heart, standing in awe, beating his heart and saying, "God, have
      mercy on me, a sinner." Jesus said about him, "I tell you that this
      man went home justified" (Luke 18: 13, 14). Also, the repenting thief
      who was crucified with the Lord Jesus and announced his faith in Him
      while on the Cross, raised his prayer to Him in firm hope
      saying, "remember me when you come in your kingdom" (Luke 23:42). His
      request was granted immediately, and he became worthy to hear the
      Lord's true promise, "Truly I say to you, today you will be with Me
      in Paradise" (Luke 23:43).

      If, however, our prayer is not answered, let us then examine
      ourselves and see if we prayed in faith or not, and if we repented to
      our Lord or not. The Lord does not accept the prayer of a sinner
      except in one case, that is, when a sinner asks God for forgiveness
      with earnest repentance, abundant tear, and determination not to
      return to sin. God, however, may not answer our prayer for there
      could be certain harm against the salvation of our souls, if prayer
      were to be answered. God knows what is best for us. God also may
      delay answering our prayer so that we may show the strength of our
      belief in His power. The Holy Gospel makes mention of the Canaanite
      woman who followed the Lord Jesus when He was in the vicinity of Tyre
      and Sidon. The woman was crying, "Have mercy on me, O my Lord, Son of
      David, my daughter is severely possessed by a demon" (Matthew 15:22).
      Jesus did not answer her right away. Rather, He delayed as if He did
      not want to grant her request, so that he might show the strength of
      her faith to the crowd. She kept persistently and insistently crying.
      After He spoke to her, it became evident to the people, from her
      answer, that she told the truth and that her faith in Jesus was firm.
      The woman answered the Lord humbly and wisely, and the Lord praised
      her faith and healed her daughter possessed by demons. The Canaanite
      woman is an example for us to follow. We should pray without
      tepidity, and object not the will of God, but rather submit to it. If
      we ever show any objection to whatever happens to us, let it be in
      humility and wisdom, saying, "Let your will be done, O Lord". The
      Lord Jesus taught us to pray the way He Himself did. He used to,
      glory to Him, retire with the heavenly Father for several times
      everyday in fervent prayers. When Jesus prayed, His prayer was
      intimate discourse with His own self, for He and the Father are one
      in substance. He is in the Father and the Father is in Him, as He
      said about Himself (John 14:10). When His disciples once asked Him to
      teach them how to pray, He taught them to direct their prayer to the
      heavenly Father, "When you pray, pray like this; Our Father in
      heavenÂ…" (Matthew 6:9-13; Luke 11:1- 4). Jesus taught us and His
      disciples this very short prayer, which we call "the Lord's prayer"
      and presented it as a model for us from which we adopt our own
      petitions which we present to God. In this prayer, He incorporated
      themes embracing thanking God for His graces, which he always bestows
      on us, glorification of His name, and our petition to Him to fulfill
      the needs of our souls and bodies, and thus we worship Him in spirit
      and truth.

      We must, therefore, persevere in public prayer together with all the
      faithful in the holy church, and in partaking in the holy Mass. Also,
      we must follow the steps of our fathers in performing prayer in
      mornings and evenings in our homes for the entire household, in
      addition to our own solitary prayers, so that we may continue to
      communicate with our great God. By doing so, we draw from Him
      strength, wisdom and triumph over our enemy, the devil, and his
      hosts, and protection against his followers, evil men.

      Because we are in need to know the will of our Lord, we must carry on
      reading the holy Bible, and listen well that we may hear the
      commandments of our Lord Jesus Christ in piety and fear of God. We
      must observe these commandments avoiding what is forbidden in the
      commandments of the Lord, presenting to Him prayer of thanksgiving
      and gratitude, and believing that He is our God, savior and redeemer.
      For without faith, there is no prayer. How can we pray to Him whom we
      do not believe in. The Lord commanded us saying, "Therefore I tell
      you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive
      it, and it will be yours" (Mark 11:24).

      May the Lord God bless you, and make you worthy to renew your
      spiritual relationship with Him, glory to Him. May He accept your
      fast, prayers and almsgivings, and make you worthy to celebrate the
      feast of His glorious resurrection from the dead in joy, happiness,
      good health, and great success. May His grace be with you.

      Abun d-bashmayo w-sharko (Our Father Who art in HeavenÂ…).