syriac orthodox catechism

  • maurnicus@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2001
      Do we have a catechism?
      If so, do we have any English translations of it?

      Thanks,
      mike
    • thomas_joseph@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2001
        Mike,

        The Shorter Catechism of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch
        By the late Patriarch Ephrem I Barsoum
        Reprinted by The Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church for the
        Eastern USA, 1999. (Published originally in 1912, English translation
        1950).

        The book is also available from the Western US Archdiocese in LA. I
        think it costs $2.00.

        - Thomas

        --- In SOR-Forum@y..., maurnicus@a... wrote:

        > Do we have a catechism?
        > If so, do we have any English translations of it?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > mike
      • Rudolf Luhukay
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2001

          Shlomo w'MorYo Yeshu'a MeshiHo,

          Dear brethren,

           The seven prayer times are:
           +Evening prayer or vespers
           +Compline or prayer upon retiring (Sootoro)
           +Midnight prayer
           +Morning prayer (Matins)
           +Three O'clock prayer (9:00 am)
           +Six O'clock prayer (12:00 pm, Noon)
          +Nine O'clock prayer (3:00 pm)

          I want to know the posture when we pray above. According to the books that I have read  which is our posture is similiar like Moslems do. Here is the argument of the books:

          1. The picture which is showed below that ancient Judaism pray like Moslems do.

          I quote this picture from the book under title "Menuju Dialog Teologis Kristen-Islam", by Bambang Noorsena, Yayasan ANDI, Yogyakarta, 2001, page 13. And the source of this picture is from "The Unger Bible Dictionary".

          2. According to footnote of the book above (page 12), from the source book (al-Kanisat as-Suryaniyat al-Anthakiyat al-Orthodoksiyat, Damascus:Alif-Ba'al-Adib lil Nasyir,1080,page 15) by Mar Ignatius Ya'qub III, I quote like this: "The Syrian Orthodox Church still continuing the rite of Judaism (on the posture such as ruku' and sujud/bow and forehead/face onto the ground) and some eastern rites, which is maintained by Moslems at present day"

          One more thing I quote from Mathew 26:39 : "VA NAFAL NEL AFUVHAY VA MATSALA....so on" it means that He prayed with His face onto the ground

          If the statement above is invalid would you tell me please the specific books/information that you have. If valid, how is it? is it same or has been modified at present day?

          Thank you inadvance.

          Alaha natirokh,

          Rudolf A. Luhukay

          Do You Yahoo!?
          Find a job, post your resume on Yahoo! Careers.
        • Rudolf Luhukay
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 22, 2001

            Shlomo,

            I am in need to know the ablution (wudhu) of the SOC both in the past time and present day.

            Thank you.

            Rudolf

            Do You Yahoo!?