Body of St. Luke - Gains Credibility

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2001
      'Body of St. Luke' Gains Credibility
      October 16, 2001

      A new DNA analysis gives tentative support to the belief that the
      remains in an ancient lead coffin are those of St. Luke,
      traditionally considered the author of the third Gospel and the Acts
      of the Apostles.

      Dr. Guido Barbujani, a population geneticist at the University of
      Ferrara, Italy, has extracted DNA from a tooth in the coffin. He
      concluded that the DNA was characteristic of people living near the
      region of Antioch, on the eastern Mediterranean, where Luke is said
      to have been born. Radiocarbon dating of the tooth indicates that
      it belonged to someone who died between 72 A.D. and 416 A.D.

      A report by Dr. Barbujani and colleagues appears today in the
      Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States.

      The Evangelist, according to ancient sources, was a physician who was
      born in Antioch and died at 84 in about 150 A.D. in the Greek city of
      Thebes. The coffin with his remains was taken to Constantinople, the
      capitol of the Byzantine empire, in 338 A.D. and later moved to Padua,

      Dr. Barbujani and his colleagues speculate that the coffin may have
      been sent out of Constantinople for safekeeping, either during the
      reign of the Emperor Julian, who tried to restore paganism, or during
      the iconoclast period of the eighth century, when many religious
      images and objects were destroyed.

      The coffin is known to have been in Padua at least since 1177 A.D. It
      was placed in a marble sarcophagus and kept in the Basilica of Santa
      Giustina. It was last opened in 1562 A.D. and seems to have been
      somewhat ignored until October 1992. At that time the bishop of
      Padua, Antonio Mattiazzo, received a letter from Hieronymos, the
      Orthodox Metropolitan of Thebes, asking that part of the relics to
      be donated to the site of Luke's tomb in Thebes.

      Bishop Mattiazzo, according to an article in November 2000 in Traces,
      a Catholic journal, decided to investigate the relics under the
      leadership of Dr. Vito Terribile Viel Marin, a pathologist at the
      University of Padua. In 1998 the 400-year-old seals were removed from
      the lead coffin, and the study began.

      The dimensions of the coffin exactly fit the tomb in Thebes onsidered
      to be Luke's. In the coffin was a skeleton, but not the skull.

      Dr. Barbujani and his colleagues say the body appears to have
      decomposed in the coffin because of matching insect marks on the lead
      and the pelvis, which has fused to the lead.

      The spread in the radiocarbon dating indicates at least two
      possibilities. One is that the body is that of Luke or a man who died
      at the same time, the other is that for some reason, a new body was
      put in the coffin in Constantinople around 300 A.D.

      To help distinguish between the two, Dr. Barbujani, an expert on the
      genetics of European populations, analyzed fragments of DNA from the
      tooth, a canine, found on the floor of the coffin, and sought to
      compare them with likely living representatives of the ancient
      populations of Antioch and of Constantinople. An Antioch match would
      suggest the body could be Luke's.

      Since the present population of Antioch includes many Kurds, Dr.
      Barbujani sampled the DNA of Syrians from nearby Aleppo. In place of
      the inhabitants of ancient Constantinople, now Istanbul, he tested
      Greeks from Attica and Crete.

      The DNA from the Padua tooth, a type inherited only through the
      mother's line, turned out to resemble Syrian DNA more than Greek DNA.

      "Our data tell us the body is absolutely compatible with a Syrian
      origin," he said. "But I am aware of the limitations of the DNA data,
      and though a broad spectrum of ages is possible, the most likely is
      300 A.D." Hence both possibilities should remain open, he said.

      The body, if indeed it is Luke's, has experienced a simpler voyage
      through history than the head, which was removed by the Emperor
      Charles IV in 1354 and taken from Padua to Prague, where it rests in
      the Cathedral of St. Vitus, in the Prague Castle.

      "There were officially two heads of St. Luke, one at Prague and one
      in Rome," Dr. Barbujani said. At Bishop Mattiazzo's request, the
      Prague skull was brought to Padua and found to fit perfectly to the
      topmost neck bone. The tooth, found on the floor of the coffin, also
      fit into the right socket in the jawbone.

      Though many relics turn out to be forgeries, executed in modern or
      medieval times as demand arose, the Padua body seems more likely than
      most to be what it is claimed to be, although exact proof is lacking.

      "I think we should accept that there is no way to tell if it was the
      Evangelist Luke, but the genetic evidence does not contradict the
      idea," Dr. Barbujani said.

      Last October, according to the Traces article, at least part of the
      body completed the circle to its original resting place. Bishop
      Mattiazzo sent a rib from the skeleton for Metropolitan Hieronymus to
      place in the empty Theban tomb.

      If you have trouble getting access to this article in the NY Times,
      try the BBC site which has another article.

      Zoom down to the bottom and look for SCI/TECH (with photographs of
      Saint Luke's teeth)
    • Rudolf Luhukay
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001

        Shlomo All,

        I took this article a few days ago from Islamic's newpapers "Harian Bangsa" in Indonesia.

        I try to translate it in English.

        Eventhough formally the Foundation of Syriac Christian in Indonesia has not been proclaimed as a religion, but their exertion was classified solid. They continously hold a seminar and study of the Oriental Orthodox Church. Neverthless they often did an open dialog and speech in the college/University with the target is the young intellectual from the various religion.

         Henney Sumali, S.H. as the elder of the Syriac Orthodox Foundation (YAKOS) in Surabaya city admitted that the parish (actually only a small community) of YAKOS has not intend to build a Church. So far their activities are doing the speech to the other religion about the position of Syriac Orthodox Community in Indonesia. Those speech, said Henney, was merely done to avoid misunderstanding among the religion society in Indonesia. "We still in stage to explain to the other followers of religion that the teachings as we now understand it is trully exist," said him.

         Furthermore, the teachings of the Syriac Christian Orthodox from Syria, a country in the middle east. As we know that samawi's religion came from middle east. Start spreading the Christian to the all the world by Dutch (in Indonesia context). So that's why the people here knew about the Christian, from the Dutch which experienced the polarization. "As we know that the original teaching of the Christian is taken from the Syria where forefathers from," said him. Primary, the similiarity with Islam's teaching (in Indonesia) is in use of Arabic in their rite.

        Henney Sumali rejected if one said that the rite of YAKOS 'duplicate' from Islam tradition.  He gave a reason that the Christianity in existence has a headquarter in Syria a long before rised of Islam. Even, according to him, there is many Islam's teaching that was brought by the prophet Mohammad has similiarity with the teaching of Sayyidinna Isa Al-Masih. Why was called as Sayyidina Isa Al-Masih? Henney said that it doesn't matter with that word. Because it was the custom of the Middle East. When we honoured someone we called him as Sayyidina,"It doesn't matter," said Henney.

        Talk about the rite of Shalat, Henney said that at the beginning of Shalat what we do is "wudhu (ritual ablution before prayers)" which washed on the left and the right palm each other three times continued with washing on the ear three times and rinse the mouth three times then washing the face untill the nape of neck then washing on the right and the left ankle untill on the knee. "So I think the wudhu is similiar," said Henney.

        In Christ,

        Rudolf A. Luhukay

        Do You Yahoo!?