Tabernacles

  • Steve Dennehy
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2001
      I'll try this again.

      Where are the Tabernacles located in Syriac Orthodox
      Churches ?
      What do they look like ?
      How do you express worship of Lord Jesus in His
      Eucharistic Presence in the Tabernacle (Roman
      Catholics genuflect, Greek-Rite Orthodox bow , etc.)?

      I'm surprised not to have recieved an answer to
      questions any practising Syriac Orthodox person could
      answer, without looking anything up, with very little
      effort.

      Steve

    • thomas_joseph@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2001
        Mr. Dennehy,

        Much happened in the US and around the world since Sep 10th when you
        first posted this message, that responding to a SOR-Forum message was
        not the priority for most of us... It is perfectly fine to be
        persistent, but I would request you to be more sensitive in your
        messages to the list.

        As far as I know, traditionally Syriac Orthodox Churches (in India)
        store any host left over from the celebration of the divine mysteries
        in a pyx which is also used for carrying the host for administering
        last rites. Some of the more modern Syriac Orthodox Churches in India
        have a tabernacle placed on the altar ledge; however, I don't believe
        that it is very typical. I have seen tabernacles in Syriac Orthodox
        Churches in the Middle Eastern diaspora but I am not sure whether the
        tabernacle is standard.

        The Syriac Orthodox make the sign of the cross as they come into the
        church and in front of the altar. In addition, they may also bow
        their heads in front of the altar.

        As an aside, while the Syriac Orthodox prostrate during regular
        prayer services, they do not prostrate on Sunday (starting Saturday
        evening prayers to Sunday ninth hour prayers including the divine
        liturgy) as well as between Easter and Pentecost, the days
        commemorating and celebrating the ressurection of Christ.

        Thomas Joseph