Tabernacles

  • Steve Dennehy
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2001
      Where are the Tabernacles located in SOC churches ?
      What do they look like ? How do you express worship
      of Lord Jesus in His Eucharistic Presence in the
      Tabernacle ?

      The Preayers from the Syriac Fathers are beautiful;
      I'ld like to see more of them.

      In Trinity Our God,

      Steve Dennehy

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Steve Dennehy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2001
        I'll try this again.

        Where are the Tabernacles located in Syriac Orthodox
        Churches ?
        What do they look like ?
        How do you express worship of Lord Jesus in His
        Eucharistic Presence in the Tabernacle (Roman
        Catholics genuflect, Greek-Rite Orthodox bow , etc.)?

        I'm surprised not to have recieved an answer to
        questions any practising Syriac Orthodox person could
        answer, without looking anything up, with very little
        effort.

        Steve

      • thomas_joseph@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 18, 2001
          Mr. Dennehy,

          Much happened in the US and around the world since Sep 10th when you
          first posted this message, that responding to a SOR-Forum message was
          not the priority for most of us... It is perfectly fine to be
          persistent, but I would request you to be more sensitive in your
          messages to the list.

          As far as I know, traditionally Syriac Orthodox Churches (in India)
          store any host left over from the celebration of the divine mysteries
          in a pyx which is also used for carrying the host for administering
          last rites. Some of the more modern Syriac Orthodox Churches in India
          have a tabernacle placed on the altar ledge; however, I don't believe
          that it is very typical. I have seen tabernacles in Syriac Orthodox
          Churches in the Middle Eastern diaspora but I am not sure whether the
          tabernacle is standard.

          The Syriac Orthodox make the sign of the cross as they come into the
          church and in front of the altar. In addition, they may also bow
          their heads in front of the altar.

          As an aside, while the Syriac Orthodox prostrate during regular
          prayer services, they do not prostrate on Sunday (starting Saturday
          evening prayers to Sunday ninth hour prayers including the divine
          liturgy) as well as between Easter and Pentecost, the days
          commemorating and celebrating the ressurection of Christ.

          Thomas Joseph