Fwd: Mor Yakub M'pskho

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2001
      --- In OzInterOrthodoxUnity@y..., <george_kunju@y...> wrote:
      Shlomo Alokh

      could any one suggest me a site where in i can find
      the details of Mor Yakub M'pskho a syriac saint who
      was martyred by cutting into inches. we have a Cross
      in our place in India where in his relic is preserved.
      i shall be grateful for the information.
      with humble prayers

      Dr.george,Dubai
      --- End forwarded message ---
    • thomas_joseph@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2001
        Ya`qub mfasqono (the dismembered), the Persian Martyr. He came from a
        Christian family in Beth Lapat (western Iran) and had a post in the
        court of the shah Yazdgird I (389-421). In order to please the shah
        he denied his faith, but he was so shaken by a letter from his mother
        and wife rebuking him that he repented. He was subsequently denounced
        to the shah, and on refusing to deny Christ a second time he was
        condemned to be killed by having each limb cut off one by one. Verses
        from the Psalms sustained him during his horrific ordeal. His
        martyrdom took place on Friday 27th November 420 or 421. His memory
        is commemorated on the Syriac Orthodox calendar on 27th November.

        (Source: Brock, S.P. and Witakowski, W., "The Hidden Pearl: The
        Syrian Orthodox Church and Its Ancient Aramaic Heritage," Vol. III,
        2001.)