Re: Crossing with three fingers

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9 6:16 AM
      Greetings to All

      Tradition is where Christianity and the Bible came from, and
      Tradition is what Orthodoxy stuck to, and tradition is what the Lord
      passed onto us.

      See what our Holy Fathers Says.....

      St. Epiphanius (c. 315-403 AD):

      He says of a woman exposed to sin that she signed herself in the name
      of Christ; for she was Christian. [He then mentions recourse being
      had to magic to seduce her, and observes:] This was the third
      circumstance that taught him that the power of magic availed not
      against the name of Christ, and the sign (seal) of the cross" (T I.
      Adv. Haeres.) He also mentions a case of madness described as being
      cured by the sign of the cross.

      St. Macarius of Egypt (c. 300-c. 390 AD):

      "After the sign of the cross,grace immediately thus operates, and
      composes all the members and the heart, so that the soul from its
      abounding gladness seems as a youth that knows not evil" (Rom. ix. p.
      481).

      St. Cyril of Jerusalem:

      "Let us not then be ashamed to confess the
      crucified. Let the cross become our seal, made with boldness by our
      fingers upon the forehead, oil every thing on the bread we eat,
      and the cups we drink; in our comings in and goings out; before
      sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are walking and
      when we are still. Great is that preservative; it is gratuitous, for
      the poor's sake ; without toil for the sake of the weak ; since also
      its grace is from God; it is the sign of the faithful and the dread
      of devils. For He has triumphed over them in it, having exposed
      there confidently in open show (Colos. ii. 15). For when they see the
      cross they are reminded of the crucified: they are afraid of Him who
      has bruised the heads of the dragon. Do not despise the seal, because
      it is a free gift, but for this the rather honor the benefactor"
      (Catech. vi. n. 36).

      In Our Lords love
      Thomas Daniel

      --- In SOR-Forum@y..., Mor Efraim ben Avraham <mor_efraim@y...> wrote:
      > Shlomo all,
      >
      > I would like to ask the following:
      >
      > 1. When did Christians begin to cross themselves with three
      fingers? (since the times of the Apostles or later?)
      > 2. Is it true that there are differences (position of fingers) in
      making the sign of the cross among Syrian Orthodox Church, Coptic
      Church, and Greek Church?
      > 3. How many times in the year are fasts observed in the Syrian
      Orthodox Church?