Crossing with three fingers

  • Mor Efraim ben Avraham
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
      Shlomo all,

      I would like to ask the following:

      1. When did Christians begin to cross themselves with three fingers? (since the times of the Apostles or later?)
      2. Is it true that there are differences (position of fingers) in making the sign of the cross among Syrian Orthodox Church, Coptic Church, and Greek Church?
      3. How many times in the year are fasts observed in the Syrian Orthodox Church?

      Thank you.

      Rudolf A.Luhukay
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2001
        Greetings to All

        Tradition is where Christianity and the Bible came from, and
        Tradition is what Orthodoxy stuck to, and tradition is what the Lord
        passed onto us.

        See what our Holy Fathers Says.....

        St. Epiphanius (c. 315-403 AD):

        He says of a woman exposed to sin that she signed herself in the name
        of Christ; for she was Christian. [He then mentions recourse being
        had to magic to seduce her, and observes:] This was the third
        circumstance that taught him that the power of magic availed not
        against the name of Christ, and the sign (seal) of the cross" (T I.
        Adv. Haeres.) He also mentions a case of madness described as being
        cured by the sign of the cross.

        St. Macarius of Egypt (c. 300-c. 390 AD):

        "After the sign of the cross,grace immediately thus operates, and
        composes all the members and the heart, so that the soul from its
        abounding gladness seems as a youth that knows not evil" (Rom. ix. p.
        481).

        St. Cyril of Jerusalem:

        "Let us not then be ashamed to confess the
        crucified. Let the cross become our seal, made with boldness by our
        fingers upon the forehead, oil every thing on the bread we eat,
        and the cups we drink; in our comings in and goings out; before
        sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are walking and
        when we are still. Great is that preservative; it is gratuitous, for
        the poor's sake ; without toil for the sake of the weak ; since also
        its grace is from God; it is the sign of the faithful and the dread
        of devils. For He has triumphed over them in it, having exposed
        there confidently in open show (Colos. ii. 15). For when they see the
        cross they are reminded of the crucified: they are afraid of Him who
        has bruised the heads of the dragon. Do not despise the seal, because
        it is a free gift, but for this the rather honor the benefactor"
        (Catech. vi. n. 36).

        In Our Lords love
        Thomas Daniel