Re: [SORForum] Gospel Qs

  • Eugene Kaplan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2001
      Dear Mike

      "Sbartho" in Aramaic means "Good News" the same meaning of Evangelion "EYAGGELION" in Greek. If you have such questions you can e-mail me at:MorClemis@hotmail

      Blessing

      C. Eugene Kaplan

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: maurnicus@...
      Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 4:50 PM
      To: SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SORForum] Gospel Qs

      Barakmor Saidna,

      > Gospel" is translated "Sbartho" in Kthobonyo, and "Evangelyon" in Turoyo.

      Thank you.  What is the literal translation of "Sbartho?"  Does it have the
      same connotation of "Good News?"

      > There is no word "Abongaleeyoon" in Syriac. If you have found this word
      > somewhere, could you please get me the source?

      Forgive me, I made a typo.  I meant to write "Awongaleeyoon" which seems very
      similar to the Turoyo.  I was taught this word by a Nestorian who probably
      said it in accordance with the eastern dialect.  Also in the Peshitta (Mark
      1:1)

      Thank you for your help Your Eminence.

      In Christ,
      Mike

    • Mor Efraim ben Avraham
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
        Shlomo all,

        I would like to ask the following:

        1. When did Christians begin to cross themselves with three fingers? (since the times of the Apostles or later?)
        2. Is it true that there are differences (position of fingers) in making the sign of the cross among Syrian Orthodox Church, Coptic Church, and Greek Church?
        3. How many times in the year are fasts observed in the Syrian Orthodox Church?

        Thank you.

        Rudolf A.Luhukay
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 9, 2001
          Greetings to All

          Tradition is where Christianity and the Bible came from, and
          Tradition is what Orthodoxy stuck to, and tradition is what the Lord
          passed onto us.

          See what our Holy Fathers Says.....

          St. Epiphanius (c. 315-403 AD):

          He says of a woman exposed to sin that she signed herself in the name
          of Christ; for she was Christian. [He then mentions recourse being
          had to magic to seduce her, and observes:] This was the third
          circumstance that taught him that the power of magic availed not
          against the name of Christ, and the sign (seal) of the cross" (T I.
          Adv. Haeres.) He also mentions a case of madness described as being
          cured by the sign of the cross.

          St. Macarius of Egypt (c. 300-c. 390 AD):

          "After the sign of the cross,grace immediately thus operates, and
          composes all the members and the heart, so that the soul from its
          abounding gladness seems as a youth that knows not evil" (Rom. ix. p.
          481).

          St. Cyril of Jerusalem:

          "Let us not then be ashamed to confess the
          crucified. Let the cross become our seal, made with boldness by our
          fingers upon the forehead, oil every thing on the bread we eat,
          and the cups we drink; in our comings in and goings out; before
          sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are walking and
          when we are still. Great is that preservative; it is gratuitous, for
          the poor's sake ; without toil for the sake of the weak ; since also
          its grace is from God; it is the sign of the faithful and the dread
          of devils. For He has triumphed over them in it, having exposed
          there confidently in open show (Colos. ii. 15). For when they see the
          cross they are reminded of the crucified: they are afraid of Him who
          has bruised the heads of the dragon. Do not despise the seal, because
          it is a free gift, but for this the rather honor the benefactor"
          (Catech. vi. n. 36).

          In Our Lords love
          Thomas Daniel