Re: [SORForum] Gospel Qs

  • maurnicus@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5 2:50 AM
      Barakmor Saidna,

      > Gospel" is translated "Sbartho" in Kthobonyo, and "Evangelyon" in Turoyo.

      Thank you. What is the literal translation of "Sbartho?" Does it have the
      same connotation of "Good News?"

      > There is no word "Abongaleeyoon" in Syriac. If you have found this word
      > somewhere, could you please get me the source?

      Forgive me, I made a typo. I meant to write "Awongaleeyoon" which seems very
      similar to the Turoyo. I was taught this word by a Nestorian who probably
      said it in accordance with the eastern dialect. Also in the Peshitta (Mark
      1:1)

      Thank you for your help Your Eminence.

      In Christ,
      Mike
    • Eugene Kaplan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5 6:31 PM
        Dear Mike

        "Sbartho" in Aramaic means "Good News" the same meaning of Evangelion "EYAGGELION" in Greek. If you have such questions you can e-mail me at:MorClemis@hotmail

        Blessing

        C. Eugene Kaplan

        > Gospel" is translated "Sbartho" in Kthobonyo, and "Evangelyon" in Turoyo.

        Thank you.  What is the literal translation of "Sbartho?"  Does it have the
        same connotation of "Good News?"

        > There is no word "Abongaleeyoon" in Syriac. If you have found this word
        > somewhere, could you please get me the source?

        Forgive me, I made a typo.  I meant to write "Awongaleeyoon" which seems very
        similar to the Turoyo.  I was taught this word by a Nestorian who probably
        said it in accordance with the eastern dialect.  Also in the Peshitta (Mark
        1:1)

        Thank you for your help Your Eminence.

        In Christ,
        Mike

      • Mor Efraim ben Avraham
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7 8:54 PM
          Shlomo all,

          I would like to ask the following:

          1. When did Christians begin to cross themselves with three fingers? (since the times of the Apostles or later?)
          2. Is it true that there are differences (position of fingers) in making the sign of the cross among Syrian Orthodox Church, Coptic Church, and Greek Church?
          3. How many times in the year are fasts observed in the Syrian Orthodox Church?

          Thank you.

          Rudolf A.Luhukay
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9 6:16 AM
            Greetings to All

            Tradition is where Christianity and the Bible came from, and
            Tradition is what Orthodoxy stuck to, and tradition is what the Lord
            passed onto us.

            See what our Holy Fathers Says.....

            St. Epiphanius (c. 315-403 AD):

            He says of a woman exposed to sin that she signed herself in the name
            of Christ; for she was Christian. [He then mentions recourse being
            had to magic to seduce her, and observes:] This was the third
            circumstance that taught him that the power of magic availed not
            against the name of Christ, and the sign (seal) of the cross" (T I.
            Adv. Haeres.) He also mentions a case of madness described as being
            cured by the sign of the cross.

            St. Macarius of Egypt (c. 300-c. 390 AD):

            "After the sign of the cross,grace immediately thus operates, and
            composes all the members and the heart, so that the soul from its
            abounding gladness seems as a youth that knows not evil" (Rom. ix. p.
            481).

            St. Cyril of Jerusalem:

            "Let us not then be ashamed to confess the
            crucified. Let the cross become our seal, made with boldness by our
            fingers upon the forehead, oil every thing on the bread we eat,
            and the cups we drink; in our comings in and goings out; before
            sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are walking and
            when we are still. Great is that preservative; it is gratuitous, for
            the poor's sake ; without toil for the sake of the weak ; since also
            its grace is from God; it is the sign of the faithful and the dread
            of devils. For He has triumphed over them in it, having exposed
            there confidently in open show (Colos. ii. 15). For when they see the
            cross they are reminded of the crucified: they are afraid of Him who
            has bruised the heads of the dragon. Do not despise the seal, because
            it is a free gift, but for this the rather honor the benefactor"
            (Catech. vi. n. 36).

            In Our Lords love
            Thomas Daniel