Re: [SORForum] Gospel Qs

  • Eugene Kaplan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2001
      Slomo Mike

      "Gospel" is translated "Sbartho" in Kthobonoyo, and "Evangelyon" in Turoyo.

      There is no word "Abongaleeyoon" in Syriac. If you have found this word somewhere, could you please get me the source?

      C. Eugene Kaplan

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2001
        Barakmor Saidna,

        > Gospel" is translated "Sbartho" in Kthobonyo, and "Evangelyon" in Turoyo.

        Thank you. What is the literal translation of "Sbartho?" Does it have the
        same connotation of "Good News?"

        > There is no word "Abongaleeyoon" in Syriac. If you have found this word
        > somewhere, could you please get me the source?

        Forgive me, I made a typo. I meant to write "Awongaleeyoon" which seems very
        similar to the Turoyo. I was taught this word by a Nestorian who probably
        said it in accordance with the eastern dialect. Also in the Peshitta (Mark
        1:1)

        Thank you for your help Your Eminence.

        In Christ,
        Mike
      • Eugene Kaplan
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2001
          Dear Mike

          "Sbartho" in Aramaic means "Good News" the same meaning of Evangelion "EYAGGELION" in Greek. If you have such questions you can e-mail me at:MorClemis@hotmail

          Blessing

          C. Eugene Kaplan

          > Gospel" is translated "Sbartho" in Kthobonyo, and "Evangelyon" in Turoyo.

          Thank you.  What is the literal translation of "Sbartho?"  Does it have the
          same connotation of "Good News?"

          > There is no word "Abongaleeyoon" in Syriac. If you have found this word
          > somewhere, could you please get me the source?

          Forgive me, I made a typo.  I meant to write "Awongaleeyoon" which seems very
          similar to the Turoyo.  I was taught this word by a Nestorian who probably
          said it in accordance with the eastern dialect.  Also in the Peshitta (Mark
          1:1)

          Thank you for your help Your Eminence.

          In Christ,
          Mike

        • Mor Efraim ben Avraham
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
            Shlomo all,

            I would like to ask the following:

            1. When did Christians begin to cross themselves with three fingers? (since the times of the Apostles or later?)
            2. Is it true that there are differences (position of fingers) in making the sign of the cross among Syrian Orthodox Church, Coptic Church, and Greek Church?
            3. How many times in the year are fasts observed in the Syrian Orthodox Church?

            Thank you.

            Rudolf A.Luhukay
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9, 2001
              Greetings to All

              Tradition is where Christianity and the Bible came from, and
              Tradition is what Orthodoxy stuck to, and tradition is what the Lord
              passed onto us.

              See what our Holy Fathers Says.....

              St. Epiphanius (c. 315-403 AD):

              He says of a woman exposed to sin that she signed herself in the name
              of Christ; for she was Christian. [He then mentions recourse being
              had to magic to seduce her, and observes:] This was the third
              circumstance that taught him that the power of magic availed not
              against the name of Christ, and the sign (seal) of the cross" (T I.
              Adv. Haeres.) He also mentions a case of madness described as being
              cured by the sign of the cross.

              St. Macarius of Egypt (c. 300-c. 390 AD):

              "After the sign of the cross,grace immediately thus operates, and
              composes all the members and the heart, so that the soul from its
              abounding gladness seems as a youth that knows not evil" (Rom. ix. p.
              481).

              St. Cyril of Jerusalem:

              "Let us not then be ashamed to confess the
              crucified. Let the cross become our seal, made with boldness by our
              fingers upon the forehead, oil every thing on the bread we eat,
              and the cups we drink; in our comings in and goings out; before
              sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are walking and
              when we are still. Great is that preservative; it is gratuitous, for
              the poor's sake ; without toil for the sake of the weak ; since also
              its grace is from God; it is the sign of the faithful and the dread
              of devils. For He has triumphed over them in it, having exposed
              there confidently in open show (Colos. ii. 15). For when they see the
              cross they are reminded of the crucified: they are afraid of Him who
              has bruised the heads of the dragon. Do not despise the seal, because
              it is a free gift, but for this the rather honor the benefactor"
              (Catech. vi. n. 36).

              In Our Lords love
              Thomas Daniel