Re: english bibles

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013
      1) The Peshitta Syriac Bible is the most widely used Bible in the Syriac Orthodox Church. There is no complete English translation yet. (George Lamsa's is a loose translation.) The Gorgias Press is publishing the Antioch Bible series (http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/p-59841-kiraz-george-a-the-antioch-bible--the-syriac-peshitta-bible-with-english-translation-individual-subscription-75vol.aspx) which provides an authentic translation of the Peshitta into English by Syriac scholars.

      2) I don't speak for the Church, but do you expect the Church to respond to rumours?

      Regards
      Thomas

      --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Josh G" <NinjaTurtle836@...> wrote:

      > 2 part question/2 questions (I think):
      >
      > 1) what is the preferred English bible among the faithful of the Syriac Church? KJV, NKJV, NIV, Lamsa, etc? (though I myself come from a fundamental Baptist background, however I feel a bit pricked in my heart somewhat as if the Spirit of God were leading me to the Syriac Church)
      >
      > 2) and also regarding rumors that the kjv's namesake, King James himself was either homosexual or bisexual, what is the Church's view of such claims?

    • Josh G
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2013
        Thank you for your reply...As I am curious to learn more of the Church (and if it is God's will one day convert to the Syriac Orthodox faith), and as such as one who inquires to learn more and investigate such faith as the Church, I was a bit curious as to the English bible used by the Syriac faithful as I mentioned. I read on a few places online how among several orthodox laity (orthodox in general really not specifically Syriac) would prefer either the KJV, New King James/NKJV, Orthodox Study Bible., the NIV, and so on. And as such got curious if among the Syriac faithful in the English speaking parts of the world there was a preferred English translation of the Holy Scriptures. As to the "rumors" concerning the KJV's namesake, it is often said and supposedly during his lifetime as well in the early 1600's that King James' sexuality was called into question, and I simply didn't know if for the Church regardless if such were true or not, if it had any bearing at all whatsoever on the bible which is named after today, and its use of course among the faithful Syriac Christians and their possibly preference for it as an English bible. Again as I am very interested in learning more of the Church, I do not mean to offend at all, and so I apologize if I seemed to at all in any way.

        God bless you always,
        Josh