The Orthodox teaching on Holy Baptism & Chrismation

    Maybe the following will help to clarify Orthodox Baptism & Chrismation in a nutshell: The way of entry into the Christian Church is by Baptism in the name of
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2001

      Maybe the following will help to clarify Orthodox Baptism & Chrismation in a nutshell:

      The way of entry into the Christian Church is by Baptism in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19). Baptism as a word means immersion or submersion in water. It was practiced in the Old Testament and even in some pagan religions as the sign of death and re-birth. Thus, John the Baptist was baptizing as the sign of new life and repentance which means literally a change of mind, and so of desires and actions in preparation of the coming of the Kingdom of God in Christ. In the Church, the meaning of Baptism is death and rebirth in Christ. It is the personal experience of Easter given to each man, the real possibility to die and to be "born anew" (John 3:3).

        Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by Baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his

        (Romans 6:3-5; cf. Colossians 2:12; 3:1).

      The Baptismal experience is the fundamental Christian experience, the primary condition for the whole of Christian life. Everything in the Church has its origin and context in Baptism for everything in the Church originates and lives by the resurrection of Christ. Thus, following Baptism comes the seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit, the mystery (sacrament) of Chrismation which is man’s personal experience of Pentecost. And the completion and fulfillment of these fundamental Christian mysteries comes in the mystery of Holy Communion with God in the Divine Liturgy of the Church.

      Mar Melchizedek