Baptism

  • Eugene Kaplan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2001
      Shlomo,

      Only those who have priesthood can give the sacrament of baptism. One cannot give what one does not have authority to. Further, it is not enough to be baptized in the name of Jesus. We see this clearly in the Acts: "But when they believed Philip (who was ordained as deacon by Apostles) as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done. Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus." (Acts 8:12-16).

      If the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ (which the people of Samaria had accepted already) is enough, why did the apostles have to send them Peter and John in order that they may receive the Holy Spirit? What we understand here is that because Philip was a deacon (and had no priesthood) his baptism was not acceptable by the apostles. Philip baptized, as John used to, by water only but without the Holy Spirit.

      The Syrian Orthodox Church gives the Chrism (Confirmation) to those baptized by non-apostolic Churches, because she believes that they have not received the Holy Spirit yet.

      C. Eugene Kaplan