about the Monastery at Mardin

  • JOHN PHILIP
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2001
      In many of the Church books written in our local
      language, Malayalam, there is a mention about
      'KURKKUMA DAYRO', the Seat of the Patriarch of Antioch
      in Mardin.

      As far as I know this Dayro mentioned is
      'Deyrul-Zaafaran' of Turkey. Is that correct ? If
      so, why it is called as KURKKUMA Dayro? In our site,
      'Deyrul-Zaafaran' is also mentioned as 'Saffron
      Monastery', so named for the yellowish rock from which
      it is built. Then what does this ' KURKKIMA' denote
      ? Is that a Syriac word or is it the name of a
      place ?

      Waiting for a reply,

      John Philip K