957Rousing reception to Patriarch in southern diocese

  • Chev. Thomas Daniel
    Oct 23, 2008
      Rousing reception to Patriarch in southern diocese

      Patriarch of Antioch Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka-I Iwas, who arrived
      Malankara on apostolic visit was accorded a warm welcome by the
      leaders of Malankara Syrian Knanaya Archdiocese at its headquarters
      at Chingavnom on Thursday.

      The Patriarch who was accompanied by Catholicos Baselios Thomas I and
      other bishops were received by Archbishop Kuriakose Mor Savarios and
      other bishops of the Knanaya Archdiocese at the Mor Aprem Seminary.
      After holding special prayers at the tomb of Abraham Mor Clemis, the
      former head of the Archdiocese, the Pontiff spoke to the flock at the
      public reception accorded to him and Catholicos Baselios Thomas I.

      Speaking on the occasion, the Patriarch said the archdiocese with its
      distinctive cultural moorings was an integral part of the universal
      Syrian church and hoped that they would continue to contribute to the
      society. He hoped the archdiocese would scale new heights under the
      current leadership.

      Catholicos Aboon Mor Baselios Thomas I, in his address referred to
      the ongoing tussle with the Orthodox Church and challenged them to
      produce any evidence regarding the ownership of the disputed
      Thrikkunnathu Seminary. If they present legitimate evidence, he was
      ready to give up the church's claim, he said.

      The Patriarch later participated in the meeting of the Knanaya
      Association and left to Manjinikkara.

      The Patriarch of Antioch and head of the Universal Syriac Orthodox
      Church, Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka-I Iwas, was accorded a rousing
      reception by the clergy and the laity at Manjanikkara here on

      The Patriarch, accompanied by Catholicose Abbon Mor Baselios Thomas-
      I, Mathyas Mor Peelexinos, Patriarchal Vicar; Augen Mor Cleemis,
      California Archbishop; Daniel Mor Cleemis and Beirut Archbishop,
      reached Manjanikkara, a major pilgrim centre of Syrian that houses
      tomb of the Syrian Patriarch, St. Elias-III, in the afternoon.

      Addressing the faithful, the Patriarch recalled the contributions of
      St. Elias-III and other Church leaders to ensure peace and harmony in
      the Church.

      He was received by the Manjanikkara Dayaro chief, Geevarghese Mor
      Divannasios, T.U. Kuruvila, MLA who is also the Dayaro secretary,
      Kuriakose Mr Eulios Metropolitan and Geevarghese Mr Athanaseus

      The Patriarch offered prayers at the tomb of St. Elias-III and at the
      Dayaro Cathedral. He also blessed the believers who thronged the
      Cathedral premises. Kuriakose Mor Eulios and Geevarghese Mor
      Athanaseus presented a memento to the Patriarch.

      His Holiness blessed the foundation stones of St. Elias III platinum
      jubilee memorial building and Kayamkulam Kadisa Church.

      (St. Elias III platinum jubilee memorial building
      http://www.socmnet.org/Platinum_Jubilee_Memorial_Building.htm )

      The Patriarch also elevated the St. Mary's Jacobite Church at Kundara
      to the status of a cathedral on the occasion. The Patriarch has
      conferred the `Chevalier' title to T.V. Thomson of Kottayam Simhasana
      Church on the occasion.

      Those who cannot attend the function of the Patriarch of Antioch &
      All the East at Manjanikkara, Radio Malankara Team, in cooperation
      with Atheeva Technologies, broadcasted the event live from
      Manjinikkara Dayaro.

      Latter His Holiness Consecrated the renovated St. George's Syrian
      Orthodox Church at Kavumbhagom, near Thiruvalla. Thousand of the
      faithful assembled at Kavumbhagom to receive the Syrian Orthodox
      Church head.

      The Patriarch had also elevated the St. George Syrian church,
      Kavumbagam to the status of a cathedral on the occasion.

      SOCM News Bureau - Thiruvalla