860Heads of Oriental Orthodox Churches Meet in Egypt

    Dec 1, 2006
      Heads of Oriental Orthodox Churches Meet in Egypt

      H.H. Pope Schenouda II, Head of the Coptic Orthodox Church, H. H.
      Patriarch Zakka Iwas, Head of the Syrian Orthodox Church held their
      annual meeting from November 22-24, 2006, at the St. Mark Center, Nasr
      City, Cairo. H.H. Catholicos Aram I, Head of the Armenian Orthodox
      Church canceled his scheduled trip to Egypt for the meeting due to the
      latest events in Lebanon. However, the two spiritual leaders remained
      in contact with H.H. Aram I throughout the meeting, exchanging views
      on a variety of issues.

      At the end of the meeting, the three Heads of Churches condemned the
      ordination of an individual as bishop by schismatic and non-canonical
      bishops who claim to be Orthodox and emphasized the necessity of
      strengthening cooperation between primates and communities of the
      three Oriental Orthodox churches.