809Magi

  • edwinswan
    Mar 5, 2006
      I find the statement widely repeated on the internet that Syrian
      Christians have names for the magi: Larvandad, Hormisdas, and
      Gushnasaph. Sometimes it is added that this is a folk tradition but no
      source is given. Even folk traditions have some literary first
      appearance. For instance, the western Christian tradition of names,
      Balthasar, Melchior, Casper seem to start with Names: Bithisarea,
      Melichior and Gathaspa given in a document called the Excerpta Latina
      Barbari ~500AD

      I am looking for any written sources for the Syrian tradition as well
      as any Syrian tales or stories about the magi? Does anyone hear have any
      information?
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic