66Re: [SORForum] Baptizm

  • Gabriel Rabo
    Apr 3 11:03 AM
      The baptizm in other churchs is valid in syriac orthodox chuch too, but
      Patriarch Ephrem Barsaum write in his introduction of  "tekso da-'modo" (the book of baptizm)  that it is necessary to re-baptize the belivers from the "epickopal church" if they convert to syriac orthodox church.

      I don't know exactly what Patriarch Barsaum meant "episcopal church". Maybe he thought "protestant church"? I heard that a syriac priest in Berlin (Germany) re-baptized some protestant belivers when they converted to syriac orthodox church.

      Gabriel

      Dear Philip,

      I believe that the Syriac Orthodox Church would not re-baptize those
      who have been baptized in mainstream apostolic churches. The "one
      baptism for remission of sins" doctrine, as stated in the Nicene
      Creed, has historically favored a more lenient approach towards
      accepting the sacrament of baptism received in other churches.
      However, all received into the Church undergo chrismation.

      - Thomas

      --- In SOR-Forum@y..., philhar2001@y... wrote:
      > Hello, my name is Philip Harran and I am
      baptized and confirmed
      Catholic who is interested in being received into the Syriac Orthodox
      Church. As I have received the sacraments of initiation as a Roman
      Catholic, would I need to repeat either of them to enter the Syriac
      Orthodox Church or is only a confession of faith required? Thank you
      and God Bless.