585"Anti-American Sentiments" -- Re: Easter / Prayers

  • drthomas_joseph
    Apr 26, 2004
      Steve -

      The SOR-Forum is dedicated to disseminating information related to
      the spiritual heritage of the Syriac Orthodox Church. Significant
      news related to the Church are also disseminated on the forum as
      appropriate. Members of the forum are nationals of different
      countries including a number of US nationals and residents. We have
      no intent to support any political agenda including promoting any
      anti-American sentiments. At the same time, we have no intent to
      censor messages of interest to Christians in the Middle East because
      it may offend some Americans or of other nationalities.

      I assume that the quote in Message <a
      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum/message/579">579</a>
      that provoked you is "The spiritual leaders of the Christian sects
      expressed gratitude to President Assad for his kind congratulations,
      wishing His Excellency success in leading the country and care for
      all the citizens for the best interest of Syria and the Arab Nation."

      I cannot agree with your argument that this statement is anti-
      American merely because representatives of Middle Eastern Churches
      expressed gratitude to Bashar Assad. I guess by the same token, if a
      Christian leader were to denounce the denial of civil rights to
      Christians in Saudi Arabia that would be "anti-American" as well
      because Saudi Arabia is one of the closest US allies.

      You go on to claim that the forum consistently promotes anti-American
      sentiments. Even if the above statement falls into the category
      of "anti-American", the facts do not support your claim. The archives
      of messages posted on the forum are available at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum. You can go ahead and
      determine for yourselves the number of messages that contain any such
      statement.

      While I have no intent to open SOR-Forum for political discussion,
      the point you have raised requires a response.

      Assad is no doubt a ruler who was not democratically elected who is
      obstructing US designs for the Middle East. Now, how many allies of
      the US in the Middle East have democratically elected rulers and
      unstained hands?

      Syria is a country that is viewed as a nation that promotes terrorism
      in the Middle East by the US. Yet, Saudi Arabia, the closest ally of
      the US was the chief exporter of terrorism all over the world,
      including the terrorists of 9/11 notoriety. One cannot hide behind
      the smoke screen that terrorists were individuals acting on their
      own. The Saudi government actively funded ultra-fundamentalist
      Wahhabi schools all over the world including US and nurtured agents
      of intolerance and terror. The US did nothing about it until the
      terrorists struck America.

      Syria is perhaps the only country where Christians can live in peace,
      practice their religion without fear of reprisal, and aspire to
      equality in public life. Is an oblique acknowledgment of this fact
      anti-American? Saudi on the other hand is a land where possessing a
      Bible or Christian literature, practicing any religion other than
      Islam is a crime with grave punishment. Yet, the US is its closest
      ally; the US has not been able or willing to exert any influence on
      them to permit even a modicum of civil rights for non-Muslims. Aren't
      the human values of liberty and equality what America stands for?

      In Iraq, Christians who have lived there since time immemorial have
      been given the cold shoulder by the US administrators as the
      political future of the country is being determined. Despite the evil
      perpetrated by the butcher of Baghdad, the Christian minority fared
      better than many other countries in the Middle East; today, the
      Christian minority lives in the fear of being obliterated. In such
      circumstances, can you blame the Christians in the Middle East for
      being grateful to Assad?

      I hope you will reconsider your intemperate remarks and recognize
      that denying human beings liberty, equality and fundamental civil
      rights are truly what is "anti-American."

      Thomas Joseph
      Moderator, SOR-Forum