2[SORForum] Sign of the Cross

  • Timothy D. Herman
    Nov 23, 1999
      Is the Holy Sign of the Cross as practiced by Syrian Orthodox like the
      standard Orthodox practice (i.e., from forehead to breast and from
      right shoulder to left) and with the same position of fingers? I know
      that there are at least three different ways of making the Sign of the
      Cross: Orthodox, Catholic, and Armenian. Which way does the Syrian
      Orthodox Church follow, and what is the basis (i.e. scriptural or
      patristic) for this practice if it is different from the standard
      Orthodox (Greek, Russian) practice. Also, I pray for the preservation
      of the Syrian Orthodox Church under hostile governments. "Lord, save
      Thy people and bless Thine inheritance. Grant victory to the Orthodox
      Christians over their adversaries, and by the virtue of Thy Cross,
      preserve Thy habitation. Amen." Thank you very much, and may God Bless
      You! Timothy, unworthy servant of God, member of the Holy Orthodox
      Church.