Re: barrels

  • adamant628
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
      I don't think anyone would appreciate that value.

      Would there be any interest in doing a club brew into one?

      --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Rogers <jeff528@...> wrote:

      > Hopefully they will have appreciated in vale!
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Nov 30, 2011, at 12:20 PM, Jim Sudduth <jms7465@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I can put it in either my garage or shed so that my wife and kids have to get rid of it when I die.
      > >
      > > Jim Sudduth

    • Gautam
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
        I would be interested, but can only add 5 gallons at a time.

        Gautam

      • Ben Siefker
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
          We put together such a plan a few years ago. I can give you the details, but the sticking point is storage location. Who has room for a 50 gallon barrel is a constant-temp environment (basement) for the next 3-5 years?  Once you fill it up, it isn't going anywhere.

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Will Shiel
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
            I really wish I had a house. :-/  I have been dreaming of solara brewing and Jay's offer isn't helping...

          • Matt Milholen
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
              What is solara brewing?

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                For solara you fill the barrel, then every 6 months to a year you pull off a portion to drink, (say a 5 gal corny every 6 months) and you add that volume (+the angles share) back to it from a freshly brewed batch.  2.5-5 years for complete turnover and resulting in a complex blended beer all the time.  I would like to have both a flanders red and a lambic going this way.

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                  The club's plan, at the time, was to do a solara with either a barleywine or a Russian imperial stout.  We picked RIS, had enough brewers, had a plan/rules (you don't want someone to add an infected beer, etc.), but like I said, it's hard to find a 5 yr home for a 50 gallon barrel.

                  Will, they do make smaller custom barrels.  I judged with a guy at the state fair who'd just bought a 5 gallon barrel, and if I remember, the price wasn't prohibitive.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                    wow very interesting -- sounds like a lot of work!

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011

                      But then I couldn't do solara!  With the smaller barrel you get a lot more wood+oxygen/gal.  Being new the wood character would also be stronger.  For a single 5 gallon batch I would just add the wood cubes and age.  I preffer the idea of having 5 gal every 6 months.  I may want to go with wine barrels for the sours though.  I first need a house however.  I don't think I will be in my apt long enough to really do a 5gal flanders, I certainly don't have a steady temp anywhere but my fridges.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                        Up front it's lots of work but then it is just like making any other beer, except you get 5 gal right after you brewed it and don't need to age it or blend it.  In order to maintain a barrel you need to add to it regularly anyways to account for the angles share (evaporation through the wood).  It would still be very worth it, I'll let you know if I am every able to start it.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                          Will!  Just brew smaller batches!  (you do that often anyway, right?)  Brew a 5 gallon batch just to absorb the majority of the new wood taste -- you could even keep it around to blend with other beers to add character.  Then after that brew one 5 gallon to start and smaller batches to do the solara.  Voila.  5 gallon Solara project.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                            haha yeah I do plenty of 3 gal batches (Imp IPA tonight) but that's 1 gallon batches to add to the solara,  Yes I've done that size batch before .. but then I would only have 1 gallon of Flanders to drink every 6 months!   I want 5 of flanders and 5 of lambic, with that I may even be able to share!  Since I don't have the constant temp for the smaller barrel anyways I will just try and get a house soon.

                            I am actually doing a 3/4-1 gallon flanders currently, I have 3/4 gal of my Irish Red with honey left.  I am actually tonight boiling some left over DME and corn sugar and pitching with some lactobacillious I held back from a previous beer.  A few days later I will add the dregs of a jolly Pumpkin La Roja and then add it to the red, perhaps with a couple wood cubes, and let that age.  My goal will now be to have a house and barrel by the time it's done!  With the prepitch of lacto it should sour relatively quickly so I may need to figure out the housing thing soon.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                              This cart is great.  I'll just get a horse later.  Really, this is a great cart.

                            • Richard Sheppard
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                                You might be a homebrewer, if you want to buy a house to do a Solara.

                                --
                                Richard Sheppard
                                richardlsheppard@...

                              • Will Shiel
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                                  To be fair I don't just want it for solara, ... I also want to grow hops.

                                  Ben, Your making me feel old.. I don't know what that is a reference to?

                                • Jay Wince
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                                    Thousand Oaks Barrel Co had barrels in many different sizes from 1 gal on up to full sized bourbon barrels. Check them out online.

                                    Jay B, I don't have any photos, they are just your normal bourbon barrel, they've been sitting in our brewery for the past 6 months so if you've been there you've seen them. I will be delivering 2 at the Christmas party so if you're there you can see them.

                                    Matt, FYI, Lori and I will be coming up for a while on Saturday so no worries. See you all then.

                                    • Bob Klahn
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
                                        I know Jay's offer is hard to get past, and a five gallon solera does seem puny, but what about a ten or fifteen gallon barrel and rotating small batches ?  After all, moving a new keg of beer is daunting but not impossible (ignoring the extra heft of the wood barrel) and I'm sure a few of you maintain kegerators already.  Just scale down a bit.

                                      • Jim Sudduth
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 2, 2011
                                          On Solera Brewing:

                                          I listened to this particular podcast a couple years ago and (as I recall) it was fairly interesting and informative.

                                          Jim Sudduth

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 2, 2011
                                            All of the barrels are spoken for. If anything changes I will let you know. Thanks all.

                                            Jay Wince
                                            President/Brewer
                                            Weasel Boy Brewing Company, LLC
                                            126 Muskingum Avenue Suite E
                                            Zanesville, Ohio 43701
                                            ph - (740) 605-7468
                                            email - weaselboybrewing@...
                                            web - www.weaselboybrewing.com

                                          • Nick Meister
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 3, 2011
                                              I would be interested in contributing with small batches if this ever gets off the ground.

                                              ------

                                              Nick Meister
                                              meister614@...
                                            • Mike
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 3, 2011
                                                I would be interested in participating in a club brew with one too.