Schwarzbier Recipe

  • Aaron Darnell
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
      It's about that time for lagering. Does anyone have a tried and true Schwarzbier Recipe??

      Thanks guys,
      ADD

    • Chris Alltmont
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
        Why yes, I do. I tend to run on the high end for the hop spec.

        GORDON BIERSCH SCHWARZBIER

        General Parameters:

        · Original Gravity: 11.20° P (target), 11.0°-11.4° P (parameter)

        · Terminal Gravity: <3.00°

        · IBU: 21 (target), 18-24 (parameter)

        Grist Bill:

        · 87% Gambrinus/ Weyermann/ Best/ Rahr Pilsner or Pale Malt

        · 04% Weyermann Dark Munich (a.k.a. Munich II) (9.0-11.5 L)

        · 04% Weyermann CaraRed (15-25 L)

        · 05% Weyermann de-husked Carafa II Malt

        · Based on brewhouse yield and wort concentration during boil, set grist amount to achieve an 11.2° P Original Gravity.

        Modified Upward Step Infusion Mash Program:

        · 56° C mash-in

        · Immediately raise to 63° C and hold for 30 minutes

        · Raise to 73° C and hold for 30 minutes

        · Perform "Iodine Test Procedure" found in Lab Schedule section of manual

        Kettle Program:

        · 90 minute boil.

        · 90% of bittering units (18.9 BU) to derive from German Perle hops: first pitch at 90 minutes left in boil

        · Finishing hops pitch should consist of 50 grams of Czech Saaz & 50 grams of French Alsace Strisselspalt, Hallertaur or Hersbrucker per bbl of hot wort.

        .

        Knockout Program:

        · Cool wort to 7° C

        · Pitch Hefebank Weihenstephan W 34/70 Lager yeast at a rate of 15 million cells/ ml of wort

        Fermentation/ Storage Program:

        · Minimum 35 day combined fermentation and aging required

        · Ferment at 9° C

        · Follow outline listed in Fermentation & Aging Schedule section of manual

        · SERVE UNFILTERED

        ________________________________

        It's about that time for lagering. Does anyone have a tried and true Schwarzbier Recipe??

        Thanks guys,
        ADD
      • Sean
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010

          That's two from you.  You realize you are the shit, right Chris?

          It's about that time for lagering. Does anyone have a tried and true Schwarzbier Recipe??

          Thanks guys,
          ADD

        • Ben Siefker
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
            I think that's the last thing he says before he falls asleep at night.

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
              No, I think "it's damn, forgot to take a shit."

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
                I couldn't have said it better!!!!

                Thanks Chris.