Upcoming events

  • sanchosway
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
      It's beer season and SODZ is being asked to be a part of many functions this fall. I have heard from a few people regarding the COSI event on October 22nd but we still need more people to enter the homebrew contest. COSI will have a small beer competition with the brew (peoples choice) not BJCP. There is no cost to enter but you will need enough homebrew for over two hundred people to try. Barleys will be giving 1 oz samples so 16 or 17 12oz bottles will be needed. Prizes will be awarded in each category and best in show. To enter, email me at vicgonzales@... and tell me the type of beer you would like to enter.
      Here is a link to the COSI event
      http://www.cosi.org/visitors/calendar/

      We have also been asked to be a part of the Pubfest on October 11th. Pubfest is a beer festival much like Alefest but hosted and held at the Pub at Polaris. There will be distributors and a few local breweries like Columbus Brewing Co. and Elevator Brewing at the event. The Pub would like us to do something like we did at Columbus Microbrew fest but also have homebrew available. If anyone would like to show off their beer let me know.
    • Victor Gonzales
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
        *UPDATE*

        The competition is for Pale Ale, Stout and Wheat beers only. Prizes will be awarded to the best in each category and best in show.

        Sorry for the sketchy details I am posting them as I get them.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
          Vic,
             Just noting from the website....?

          October 22, 2009 - October 22, 2009
          Don't miss COSI's Brew Science Event on Thursday, October 22nd from 6-8PM. Soak up the science of fermentation and the art of home brewing. Then taste test Columbus' best home brewed beers, and vote for your favorites! It's a Home Brew Beer Contest, and you're the judge! Sample pale ales, wheat beers, porters, stouts, and more. Home Brew champions will be crowned in each category, plus a Best in Show. Brew Science at COSI is for adults 21 and up. Tickets are $20 each and include beer samples and light hors d'oeuvres. Cash bar and parking additional. Event made possible by Barley's and the SODZ home brewers club, with media support from CD101. Please click below to purchase your tickets online. more info...

          Read more: http://www.cosi.org/visitors/calendar/#ixzz0Sh4QBE3z

        • vicgonzales@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
            Yeah the "and more" threw me off but I just confirmed with the organizer that pale ales, stouts and wheat beers will be judged. With that said, porters could be put in as stout, ipa as pale ale, weiss bock as wheat and so on. This is not a bjcp competition but a peoples choice so most beers will fit in these three categories.

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
              On Oct 1, 2009, at 9:45 AM, sanchosway wrote:

              > We have also been asked to be a part of the Pubfest on October 11th.
              > Pubfest is a beer festival much like Alefest but hosted and held at
              > the Pub at Polaris. There will be distributors and a few local
              > breweries like Columbus Brewing Co. and Elevator Brewing at the event.
              > The Pub would like us to do something like we did at Columbus
              > Microbrew fest but also have homebrew available. If anyone would like
              > to show off their beer let me know.

              I would be very leery about serving homebrew at something like this.
              Actually the organizers should be. Here in the Boston area the Worts
              almost got into trouble with something like this. While there are
              differences in laws from state to state, I believe that just about
              everywhere selling unlicenced and untaxed alcohol is illegal. If the
              organizers get caught doing this, the event could be shut down
              immediately and could mess up there liquor licence. Its related to the
              problem of serving homebrew at restaurants during meetings, but
              probably more serious, as at meetings its private and done quietly,
              whereas in this case it will probably be advertised. If I remember
              correctly, it was for similar reasons that Beer and Sweat was moved to
              Kentucky for a while. Based on my understanding on Ohio laws from when
              I lived there and what I've seen in other states, the club members at
              the booth don't have much to worry about. However the organizers
              might. Now if the state laws have changed from when the Bloats had to
              move Beer and Sweat and there is now no problem, go for it.

              Now if the organizers wanted the club to serve beer at the booth, there
              would be no problem in serving beer from a brewery that is legally
              distributed in Ohio.

              Mark

              ps. The event in Boston is a long story which involved a disgruntled
              former Wort Processor members putting out flyers near the competition
              location saying that our competition would have an open tasting of
              homebrew, $5 all you can drink. While of course that wasn't really
              the case, we were contacted by the city of Bedford and the state liquor
              agency. A week before the competition, we needed to find a new
              location and effectively remove the competition from view as the state
              was claiming to us that the competition was illegal under state laws as
              unlicenced and untaxed alcohol was being transported for consumption,
              even though it was not being sold.

              --
              Mark Irwin
              irwin@...
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
                The event at COSI is a homebrew competition(non-bjcp) that all people entering the event will have a chance to judge your entry.  Because this is a competition there should be no concerns about participating.  The event at The Pub is something that we have just found out about and Vic and I are going to discuss it with the manager.  We will follow up with more details as we get them.

                On Oct 1, 2009, at 9:45 AM, sanchosway wrote:

                > We have also been asked to be a part of the Pubfest on October 11th.
                > Pubfest is a beer festival much like Alefest but hosted and held at
                > the Pub at Polaris. There will be distributors and a few local
                > breweries like Columbus Brewing Co. and Elevator Brewing at the event.
                > The Pub would like us to do something like we did at Columbus
                > Microbrew fest but also have homebrew available. If anyone would like
                > to show off their beer let me know.

                I would be very leery about serving homebrew at something like this.
                Actually the organizers should be. Here in the Boston area the Worts
                almost got into trouble with something like this. While there are
                differences in laws from state to state, I believe that just about
                everywhere selling unlicenced and untaxed alcohol is illegal. If the
                organizers get caught doing this, the event could be shut down
                immediately and could mess up there liquor licence. Its related to the
                problem of serving homebrew at restaurants during meetings, but
                probably more serious, as at meetings its private and done quietly,
                whereas in this case it will probably be advertised. If I remember
                correctly, it was for similar reasons that Beer and Sweat was moved to
                Kentucky for a while. Based on my understanding on Ohio laws from when
                I lived there and what I've seen in other states, the club members at
                the booth don't have much to worry about. However the organizers
                might. Now if the state laws have changed from when the Bloats had to
                move Beer and Sweat and there is now no problem, go for it.

                Now if the organizers wanted the club to serve beer at the booth, there
                would be no problem in serving beer from a brewery that is legally
                distributed in Ohio.

                Mark

                ps. The event in Boston is a long story which involved a disgruntled
                former Wort Processor members putting out flyers near the competition
                location saying that our competition would have an open tasting of
                homebrew, $5 all you can drink. While of course that wasn't really
                the case, we were contacted by the city of Bedford and the state liquor
                agency. A week before the competition, we needed to find a new
                location and effectively remove the competition from view as the state
                was claiming to us that the competition was illegal under state laws as
                unlicenced and untaxed alcohol was being transported for consumption,
                even though it was not being sold.

                --
                Mark Irwin
                irwin@markirwin. net
                http://www.markirwin.net/

              • Sean
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 5, 2009
                  Vic,
                  Can kegs be brought instead of bottles?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 5, 2009
                    Yeah. Kegs are fine. But we need enough for 250 - 1oz samples

                    From: Sean <sardaukar875@...>
                    Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:53:23 -0700 (PDT)
                    To: <SODZ@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 6, 2009
                      Vic,

                      Is there going to be a draft system on site, or would we need to provide a tap and a CO2 source of some sort?

                      Jim W

                      Sent from Blacklick, Ohio, United States

                      From: Sean <sardaukar875@...>
                      Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:53:23 -0700 (PDT)

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 6, 2009
                        We can share co2 between the kegs but you would need a tap

                        Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:53:23 -0700 (PDT)