Brewing session from hell

  • Andy Robson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2009
      Oh my God that was the longest brewing session ever.  Got started around noon and realized that I had forgotten to get water.  That's when it all started.  So, I go get water, get home pull out my gear and realize that I had forgotten to clean out my mash tun.  It had mold growing in it!  So I yank out my PBW and a dab of Bleach and get it all cleaned up, there's about an hour lost.  So I grab my HLT and realize that after my parents borrowed it to deep fry a turkey, they didn't clean it!  Nothing a little bit of Bar keepers friend couldn't take care of.  Get that cleaned up and get the mash rollin.  I pop the lid about 20 minutes into the mash cycle and it had a faint smell of Mold  Ewww.  Oh well, so it comes time to spage and I get a stuck mash.  Nothing I can do will free it I'm guessing my mold had gotten the best of my fittings.  So I had to xfer the mash into the boil kettle so I can clean out the mash tun and use it for a HLT instead.  Another 20 minutes down the crapper.get that all squared away .  So I get the boil going and proceed to tear down the mash tun so I can take care of the mold problem.  The boil was complete so I fired up my hose t which I had used earlier to clean out my gear to chill the wert and it had frozen!  Another 30 minutes down the crapper bending warming etc.  So I finally finish up @ 7:30

      So what did I learn from all this you ask?  Make sure your gear is stored CLEAN!!

      P.S.  Ill be sure to bring a growler of this swill for yall to judge in class :)  CHEERS

    • Jeff L.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
        Andy,

        I can sympathize. I have had some rocky brew sessions lately although
        my last a week ago today was finally a smooth one where everything
        went like clockwork. It was still 8 hours and closer to 9 including
        full cleanup. I think I made it through without dropping a single F-
        bomb.

        I'm not sure where I lose time as I'm in perpetal motion the whole
        time cleaning and prepping each next stage as I go. There are things
        I could do the night before (water and grain measurements, crushing)
        but that wouldn't save time, it would just be breaking up the brew
        day and moving those tasks to the day before. That would make it
        easier though.

        Cheers,

        Jeff