RE: [SODZ] Red, White and Boom

  • degeorge@aep.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 1, 2008

      Chris,
      How about the wife and I pour beer from 5ish to 6ish.  We have our food needs covered elsewhere.

      Dan George

      "Chris Alltmont" <calltmont@...>
      Sent by: SODZ@yahoogroups.com

      06/30/2008 05:07 PM

      Please respond to
      SODZ@yahoogroups.com

      <SODZ@yahoogroups.com>
      cc
      Subject
      RE: [SODZ] Red, White and Boom

      The hours are 4-midnight, whatever would work for you

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 1, 2008
        Chris,

        Pam and I could work from 4:00 to 8:00 PM. Would that work for you?

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 1, 2008
          That would be great Don, thanks.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 1, 2008
            I would more than happy to help out. Let me know when you want me down
            there.

            - Fred

            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 1, 2008
              Would you be willing to help out from 8 to 10 or so?

              ________________________________

              --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SODZ%40yahoogroups.com> , "Chris Alltmont" <calltmont@...> wrote:

              > For those of you that are headed down for Red, White and Boom Gordon
              > Biersch is going to have a both in the Taste of Boom area. Come on by
              > for Kolsch and Marzen instead of the typical fizzy yellow stuff. If
              > anyone is interested in helping to man the booth for part of the time,
              > I would be happy to pay you in beer and BBQ.

            • Mike H
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 1, 2008
                I'll be willing to volunteer. Let me know where to park (or take the
                bus) and I'll be there.
                Let me know.
                Regards,Mike

                Alltmont" <calltmont@> wrote:

                > > For those of you that are headed down for Red, White and Boom Gordon
                > > Biersch is going to have a both in the Taste of Boom area. Come on by
                > > for Kolsch and Marzen instead of the typical fizzy yellow stuff. If
                > > anyone is interested in helping to man the booth for part of the
                time,
                > > I would be happy to pay you in beer and BBQ.

              • fbarickm
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Heilman, you are alive?

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008

                    Frank,
                    I'm willing to put some beers into the fold, especially if your able to drive them down.  Dave had the medals for this years event at NHC, and they are super cool.

                    Dan George
                  • fbarickm
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
                      Dave Zalewski says we can hand deliver the day of the competition
                      (provided they are electronically registered by July 20.). As of
                      right now I am planning on judging, however it is not 100%

                      So here is the deal:

                      I am in VT until July 14. I will know if I am going down to the MBO
                      by then. This still gives us time to enter even if we ship them.

                      If I do not end up attending, we can possibly group ship them. Please
                      let me know if you plan on entering.

                      I would also like to see SODZ support them. Competitions can always
                      use judges and stewards. We expect other clubs to support our
                      competition, we should do the same.

                    • Andy Robson
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
                        Chris, it looks like I may come down with Scott (from like 4 to 6 or 7).  I will need to leave then and head out of town before the madness begins!

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
                          I want to thank everyone who has volunteered. You guys have been great. We were able to rearrange some schedules for a few of our employees here to cover the evening and tear down. So the afternoon/early evening is when I will need the most help. Scott, Dan, Don, Pam, and Andy you guys all talked about working from about 4 til around 6/7 and that would be great. Looks like we will have enough so that we can rotate some breaks. Fred, Kris and Steve I talked to you guys about working 8 to 10 or so. I could probably use the help a little earlier if that still works for you. Maybe more like 6:30 to 8.

                          The good news is that nobody should miss the fireworks. If I missed anyone who would still like to help out I'm sorry. Everyone should feel free to stop by the booth for a couple of beers and BBQ anyway. I really appreciate the outpouring of support from the Club. Thanks.

                          Chris Alltmont

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
                            Mike,
                            I think we are covered at the both. If you are going down for Boom please stop by, but don't make a special trip. Thanks,
                            Chris

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008

                              I just hope the weather holds out for all of us...

                              Dan George

                              "Chris Alltmont" <calltmont@...>
                              Sent by: SODZ@yahoogroups.com

                              07/02/2008 09:13 AM

                              Please respond to
                              SODZ@yahoogroups.com

                              <SODZ@yahoogroups.com>
                              cc
                              Subject
                              RE: [SODZ] Red, White and Boom

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
                                you and me both brother!

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008

                                  I'd love to enter a wit I just brewed, but dont' know if it will be ready.  It's going to be close.  I'll update.

                                  -Jeff Budic

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
                                    I was planning to be there by noon today but 6:30 tomorrow will have
                                    to work. I will make the sacrifice. Cya's tomorrow!

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 3, 2008
                                      Hey Chris, I won't be off work till about 4:30.  Where is the "taste of boom" area where I can find you?  P.S.  It doesn't look like Scott T can make it.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 3, 2008
                                        Nationwide blvd across from Frog Bear

                                        ________________________________

                                        Hey Chris, I won't be off work till about 4:30. Where is the "taste of boom" area where I can find you? P.S. It doesn't look like Scott T can make it.

                                        I was planning to be there by noon today but 6:30 tomorrow will have
                                        to work. I will make the sacrifice. Cya's tomorrow!

                                        --- In SODZ@yahoogroups. com <mailto:SODZ%40yahoogroups.com> , "Chris Alltmont" <calltmont@. ..> wrote:

                                        > I want to thank everyone who has volunteered. You guys have been
                                        great. We were able to rearrange some schedules for a few of our
                                        employees here to cover the evening and tear down. So the
                                        afternoon/early evening is when I will need the most help. Scott,
                                        Dan, Don, Pam, and Andy you guys all talked about working from about
                                        4 til around 6/7 and that would be great. Looks like we will have
                                        enough so that we can rotate some breaks. Fred, Kris and Steve I
                                        talked to you guys about working 8 to 10 or so. I could probably use
                                        the help a little earlier if that still works for you. Maybe more
                                        like 6:30 to 8.

                                        > The good news is that nobody should miss the fireworks. If I
                                        missed anyone who would still like to help out I'm sorry. Everyone
                                        should feel free to stop by the booth for a couple of beers and BBQ
                                        anyway. I really appreciate the outpouring of support from the
                                        Club. Thanks.

                                        > Chris Alltmont
                                        >
                                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                      • Scott Taylor
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 3, 2008
                                          I will be there

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 3, 2008
                                            Allright, and FYI, Scott WILL be there.....

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 15, 2008
                                              Hey all, I am back from the rural world of VT and have to get used to
                                              electronic communications again... Who knew the 3rd world existed in
                                              the lower 48...

                                              I will be attending the Mountain Brewer Open. If you have entries I
                                              can take them. Please email me...

                                              http://hbd.org/ghha/Meetings2008/July2008/MBOAnn2008

                                              Frank
                                            • fbarickm
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 22, 2009
                                                The Greater Huntington Homebrewers Association has decided to add a new category for the Mountain Brewer Open this year. The category will be called "Alternate Fermentables". This will cover fermentables that are not covered in any of the other BJCP style categories.

                                                To enter this category
                                                Go to our webpage www.wvhomebrew.com
                                                Click on MBO at the top of the page
                                                Click on Beer Entry Wizard
                                                Hit Go
                                                Fill out your name, etc.
                                                On the next page, you will be asked to pick a category. Pick 29. New Entrants
                                                You will then be asked to pick the subcategory. Pick 26. Other Mead, then pick 26C. Open category Mead
                                                Type the ingredients used in the box and check the appropriate boxes for the Carbonation, Strength, and Sweetness.

                                                Please ignore the restrictions to only one entry for this category. You may enter as many of this style as you want.

                                                We will have separate prizes for this category. The entries will be judged using the Mead/Cider scoresheets. The winner will not be included in the BOS judging since it will be very dificult to compare these entries to the traditional beer entries.

                                                The rules for entering this category are very similar to the rules for entering a mead. Also, these entries will be judged similarly to judging meads, ciders and specialty beers. Well-made examples will have an enjoyable balance of flavors, sweetness, acidity, alcohol, astringency, etc. The fermentable ingredients and unfermentable ingredients should be well-blended and lead to a harmonious end product.

                                                When entering this category, you must state the following:

                                                All fermentable ingredients used.
                                                Any flavor or aroma enhancing ingredients used (like cherries, vanilla, etc.).
                                                Alcohol strength of the entry : hydromel (O.G. 1.035-1.080; ABV 3.5 - 7.5 %), standard (O.G. 1.080-1.120; ABV 7.5 % - 14%), or sack (O.G. 1.120-1.170; ABV 14 - 18%).
                                                Sweetness: dry, semi-sweet or sweet.
                                                Carbonation: still, petillant or sparkling.

                                                Examples of what are considered alternate fermentables:

                                                Agave Nectar
                                                Maple syrup
                                                Fruit or frruit juices
                                                Vegetables or vegetable juices
                                                Molasses
                                                Corn
                                                Tapioca
                                                Millet
                                                Rice
                                                Bananas
                                                Palm sap

                                                The following will not be accepted into this category:

                                                Beer
                                                Wine
                                                Distilled beverages
                                                Unfermentaded Beverages (ex. soda)
                                                Any beverage that fits into any of the BCJP categories
                                                Any beverage made with barley, grapes, honey, apples, or pears

                                                If you are not sure about a recipe, email me.

                                                Remember, the MBO is on August 8. Registration is open now for all entries. We are accepting shipments now through August 2. You can also carry your entries to the competition. Make sure they are registered ahead of time.

                                                Thanks

                                                Jane Zalewski
                                                jzalew@...