Lager Starter

  • ttommyfunkenstien
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
      I'm making an Imperial Pils this weekend and am looking for a good
      starter. I'll be using WYeast's 2268 and my projected OG should be
      around 1.077. I've read in BYO I should be make a larger starter than
      a normal ale but can't find a good example. Anyone have a suggestion?

      Fred
    • Jay Wince

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
          Fred,
          Check out the Pitching rate calculator on mrmalty.com
          I entered your numbers and it calls for 2 packs of liquid yeast and a 2
          gallon starter or 5.7 packs of liquid yeast without a starter. You may
          think about a smaller beer to build the yeast then pitch on the yeast
          cake.

          --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "ttommyfunkenstien"
          <ttommyfunkenstien@...> wrote:

          > I'm making an Imperial Pils this weekend and am looking for a good
          > starter. I'll be using WYeast's 2268 and my projected OG should be
          > around 1.077. I've read in BYO I should be make a larger starter than
          > a normal ale but can't find a good example. Anyone have a suggestion?
          >
          > Fred

        • Jay Wince
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
            Hey Vic,
             Would I assume a 2 gallon starter before you let it settle and pour off the liquid portion and not a 2 gallon thick slurry. I haven't looked at the calculator but if you build a starter up and then let it cool and just pitch the thick slurry the yeast amount would be much much less. It seems that without a starter Jamil is saying about 750 ml of yeast from the smack packs. That's about 24 fl.oz. This also includes propogation wort and is not all yeast cells. I have built up lager starters at home with the 3306 Bavarian Lager strain of about 6 - 8 fl. oz of thick slurry and had good success. Here at Weasel Boy we repitch about 3 gallons of thick slurry into the next batch (roughly 250 gallons) and we see quick starts with no off flavor from yeast stress. Admittedly these are ales of normal gravity. I wholeheartedly agree that doing a normal strength lager and then repitching the yeast cake is the way to go. That was what I did with great success at home. Just wanted to chime in some more. Cheers.

            Jay

            <ttommyfunkenstien@ ...> wrote:

            > I'm making an Imperial Pils this weekend and am looking for a good
            > starter. I'll be using WYeast's 2268 and my projected OG should be
            > around 1.077. I've read in BYO I should be make a larger starter than
            > a normal ale but can't find a good example. Anyone have a suggestion?
            >
            > Fred

          • sanchosway
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
              I agree with Jay you want to decant off the liquid otherwise you will
              end up with 7 gallons of wort on a 5 gallon batch.
              I make a 2 liter starter (for normal strength ales) a few days before
              I brew and leave it on the stir plate for a day or two. Take it off
              the stir plate and let it settle out, decant and add a small amount
              of fresh wort on the morning of brew day. The result is a good amount
              of active yeast hungry for more sugar. Hope this helps Fred.

              --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, Jay Wince <racrxtreme@...> wrote:

              > Hey Vic,
              > Would I assume a 2 gallon starter before you let it settle and
              pour off the liquid portion and not a 2 gallon thick slurry. I
              haven't looked at the calculator but if you build a starter up and
              then let it cool and just pitch the thick slurry the yeast amount
              would be much much less. It seems that without a starter Jamil is
              saying about 750 ml of yeast from the smack packs. That's about 24
              fl.oz. This also includes propogation wort and is not all yeast
              cells. I have built up lager starters at home with the 3306 Bavarian
              Lager strain of about 6 - 8 fl. oz of thick slurry and had good
              success. Here at Weasel Boy we repitch about 3 gallons of thick
              slurry into the next batch (roughly 250 gallons) and we see quick
              starts with no off flavor from yeast stress. Admittedly these are
              ales of normal gravity. I wholeheartedly agree that doing a normal
              strength lager and then repitching the yeast cake is the way to go.
              That was what I did with great success at home. Just wanted to
              > chime in some more. Cheers.
              >
              > Jay
              >
              > sanchosway <vicgonzales@...> wrote:
              > Fred,
              > Check out the Pitching rate calculator on mrmalty.com
              > I entered your numbers and it calls for 2 packs of liquid yeast and
              a 2
              > gallon starter or 5.7 packs of liquid yeast without a starter. You
              may
              > think about a smaller beer to build the yeast then pitch on the
              yeast
              > cake.
              >
              > --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "ttommyfunkenstien"
              > <ttommyfunkenstien@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm making an Imperial Pils this weekend and am looking for a good
              > > starter. I'll be using WYeast's 2268 and my projected OG should be
              > > around 1.077. I've read in BYO I should be make a larger starter
              than
              > > a normal ale but can't find a good example. Anyone have a
              suggestion?

              > > Fred
              > >

              > ---------------------------------
              Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

            • Chris Alltmont
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                come and get some from me

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                  Chris I am going to leave that one alone... it's just to easy!

                  --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Alltmont" <calltmont@...> wrote:

                  > come and get some from me
                  >
                  > ________________________________
                • Chris Alltmont
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                    Frank, you know I'll give it to you any time you want some. Don't be jealous.

                    ________________________________

                    --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SODZ%40yahoogroups.com> , "Chris Alltmont" <calltmont@...> wrote:

                    > come and get some from me
                    >
                    > ________________________________
                  • Rory Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008

                      Didn't realize my association with SODZ meant access to starters from the Biersch... life continues to get better every day.

                      Frank, you know I'll give it to you any time you want some. Don't be jealous.

                      ____________ _________ _________ __

                      Chris I am going to leave that one alone... it's just to easy!

                      --- In SODZ@yahoogroups. com <mailto:SODZ% 40yahoogroups. com> , "Chris Alltmont" <calltmont@. ..> wrote:

                      > come and get some from me
                      >
                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                    • Chris Alltmont
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                        That's right folks, and right now we're throwing in a free lactobacillus with every order. So remember, for three easy payments of $19.95(just 1 actually) you get not just lager yeast, but Hefe yeast too. And that's not all. For a very limited time tou can still get berliner wiess yeast as well. With prices this low we're practically giving it away. Wait a minute...I guess we are.

                        ________________________________

                        --- In SODZ@yahoogroups. com <mailto:SODZ%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:SODZ% 40yahoogroups. com> , "Chris Alltmont" <calltmont@. ..> wrote:

                        > come and get some from me
                        >
                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                        ________________________________

                        You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47523/*http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com> , No Cost.
                      • Rory Schmidt
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008

                          If you read that previous with the outlandish voice often heard during the Time Life CD commercials on in the wee hours of the evening it makes it really funny.

                          Thanks for the laugh Chris.

                          ____________ _________ _________ __

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                            That voice is always in my head anyway.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                              Thanks Vic, I forgot about MrMalty! D'oh

                              --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "sanchosway" <vicgonzales@...> wrote:

                              > Fred,
                              > Check out the Pitching rate calculator on mrmalty.com
                              > I entered your numbers and it calls for 2 packs of liquid yeast and a 2
                              > gallon starter or 5.7 packs of liquid yeast without a starter. You may
                              > think about a smaller beer to build the yeast then pitch on the yeast
                              > cake.
                              >
                              > --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "ttommyfunkenstien"
                              > <ttommyfunkenstien@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I'm making an Imperial Pils this weekend and am looking for a good
                              > > starter. I'll be using WYeast's 2268 and my projected OG should be
                              > > around 1.077. I've read in BYO I should be make a larger starter than
                              > > a normal ale but can't find a good example. Anyone have a suggestion?
                              > >
                              > > Fred

                            • ttommyfunkenstien
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                                Thanks Jay.