4 questions

  • degeorge@aep.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006

      1.  When is the Dayton beer Competition?  Do you know the entry deadline?

      2. When is beer and sweat? Do you know the entry deadline?

      3. I bought some kegs from Jay and some of then have star fittings (gas in , liquid out).  What special tool do you use get these darn things off?  A 12 point 7/8" box end wrench?

      4. Another keg I got had square o-rings and a Teflon seal for one of the fittings.  Does anyone know were to buy replacement kit for it?

      Dan George

    • Jay Wince
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
        Dan,
         I'll let someone else answer the competition date questions but as to the kegs, the teflon seal should be okay. I have never replaced any of mine on the old firestones. Just clean and sanitize as always. The 12 point box will indeed work fine, and replace the 'square' o-ring with a regular o-ring like those on your other kegs. I've had no problem doing that, ever. Good luck and hope to see you soon.

        Jay

        degeorge@... wrote:

        1.  When is the Dayton beer Competition?  Do you know the entry deadline?

        2. When is beer and sweat? Do you know the entry deadline?

        3. I bought some kegs from Jay and some of then have star fittings (gas in , liquid out).  What special tool do you use get these darn things off?  A 12 point 7/8" box end wrench?

        4. Another keg I got had square o-rings and a Teflon seal for one of the fittings.  Does anyone know were to buy replacement kit for it?

        Dan George

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • fbarickm
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
          1. DRAFT comp date is 9/9/2006 (entries due Sept 2)- There will be
          more about this after Beer and Sweat.

          2. Beer and Sweat is 8/19/2006 (entries due August 11) -
          Check http://www.bloatarian.org/ for more details!

          3. I have found a 7/8 12pt deep well socket to work great on all
          kegs! Much easier than a wrench. I have ran into 2 sets of ball lock
          posts that were smaller.

          4. (what Jay said) - Or I have found that soaking the gaskets in PBW
          for some time can work well. They still may smell like 'root beer'
          but they really do not effect the flavor (hmmm upcoming meeting
          challenge!)

          In general, for all SCP (BJCP and AHA Sanctioned Competition Program)
          registered competitions you can find details at:

          http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php